ASP.NET Membership

Marshall

Hello,

I am trying to use the new ASP.NET Membership features with one initial
issue. I am trying to get things setup using the ASP.NET Configuration menu
item.

When I click on ASP.NET Configuration, I get the error: "Unable to connect
to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server". I have read several posts about
this problem and nothing seemed to fix the issue.

My web site setup using HTTP mode (versus File System mode) and is running
under the default web site in IIS. My OS is Windows 2003 x64 with the
lastest updates; I am not running R2. The web site itself works just fine.
I am at a point where I want to implement the Memership services into the
site but I cannot get it configured.

I've already run the aspnet_regsql tool with params of -E -A mrp. I ran
this on my PC and on one of my development servers. I would prefer to run
the authentication against the dev server but at this point I won't be
picky.

I am using Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Developers.

I have also tried creating a new web site (using both HTTP and File System
modes) and running the ASP.NET Configuration without luck.

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Marshall

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Hello Marshall,

I suspect this problem is related to the X64 platform you used. There are
similar issue reported on X64 and the cause is due to missing ASP.NET
registry keys. The reason these were missing was because we had installed
ASP.NET after the IIS metabase setting Enable32bitAppOnWin64 had already
been set to 1. Because IIS had already been switched to 32-bit mode, the
ASP.NET installation did not create the ASP.NET registry keys in the
"64-bit" registry, only in the "32-bit" (redirected) registry. This can be
fixed by running following commands in a command prompt :

1. cscript %SYSTEMDRIVE%\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs set
w3svc/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 0
2. %windir%\microsoft.net\framework64\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe ¨C i
3. cscript %SYSTEMDRIVE%\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs set
w3svc/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 1
4. %windir%\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe ¨C i

What this does is switch IIS to 64-bit mode, run the installation of 64-bit
ASP.NET, switch back to 32-bit mode and then re-install 32-bit ASP.NET.
Doing this causes the right registry keys to be created. This allows Visual
Studio to correctly locate the path to WebDev.WebServer.exe so the Visual
Studio dev web server can be launched.

For more information on Windows-32-on-Windows-64 (WOW64) refer:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/4
05f5bb5-87a3-43d2-8138-54b75db73aa1.mspx

How to switch between the 32-bit versions of ASP.NET 1.1 and the 64-bit
version of ASP.NET 2.0 on a 64-bit version of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=894435

Regards,

Luke Zhang
Microsoft Online Community Lead

rights.)

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Thank you for update. I glad that we find a solution for the issue.

Regards,

Luke Zhang
Microsoft Online Community Lead

rights.)

Sevinfooter

Luke,

This is in response to your posting, which is below.I have the same
problem, but that solution did not work for me. I am also running
Win64 and when I try to runthe asp.net configuration module from VS2005
standard, it says "unable to connect to Visual Studio's localhost web
server"

I have uninstalled all of my .net framework, run the scripts as you
have stated, but nothing seems to work for this. I can debug my
application, i can run webDev.webserver.exe no problem.

VS2005 has one localhost process up, bound to port 1662. When the
"unable to connect" message comes up, it starts another instance of the
webserver, and binds to port 1739. I have no firewall running, or
anything else that might block that port, and have run on winX86 many
times. any ideas?

Cheers,

Mark