    manage user accounts, etc. today with ASP.Net 3.5?

    Are there better alternatives today?

    TIA

    Paul, Jan 24, 2010

  2. The "membership framework" may have been introduced in version 2.0, but as
    far as I'm concerned a more accurate description is the .NET membership
    framework. In short, this is the membership functionality included in .NET.

    Like most things in ASP.NET, there's no reason not to use this functional
    unless you need more customized functionality and don't mind writing it from
    scratch.

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits Programming

    Jonathan Wood, Jan 24, 2010

  3. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Whould you recommend to still use the ASP.Net 2.0 Membership Framework to
    > manage user accounts, etc. today with ASP.Net 3.5?

    3.5 sits on top of 2.0, so it is still the same bits you would use. I am
    okay with the membership bits, although I find myself creating custom
    providers, as the default implementation is a bit clunky for what I do. It
    is a great out of the box solution for small sites where the user
    effectively controls their own password (and can use the "send me my
    password" feature to change it if they forget). If you have a customer
    service person that can change things, it gets rather unwieldy. Fortunately,
    you can easily create custom providers.

    I don't like the default Profile bits at all.

    --
    Peace and Grace,
    Greg

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |

    Gregory A. Beamer, Jan 24, 2010
  4. Paul

    Hillbilly Guest

    Agreed, we have to use the Profile Table Provider Scotty released --after--
    tacitly conceding what he allowed to go live in the first place was gfs and
    still, using the Table Provider does not generate nor use a normalized
    schema so Membership remains very useful regardless.

    Hillbilly, Jan 24, 2010
  5. "Hillbilly" <> wrote in message
    > Agreed, we have to use the Profile Table Provider Scotty
    > released --after-- tacitly conceding what he allowed to go live in the
    > first place was gfs and still, using the Table Provider does not generate
    > nor use a normalized schema so Membership remains very useful regardless.

    I will have to look at his implementation. I created my own from scratch,
    along with a derived class for other membership bits so I could circumvent
    the very narrow box Microsoft provides with Membership.'

    I am thankful they had the foresight to include a provider model so I did
    not have to write everything.

    --
    Peace and Grace,
    Greg

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |

    Gregory A. Beamer, Jan 25, 2010
  6. Paul

    Hillbilly Guest

    I'll be thankful too if and when I learn how to use the Provider model.

    Hillbilly, Jan 25, 2010