    limits to using MS Access with IIS 5 and ASP.net on a non-
    ..net server (NT)?
    thanks.

    XFER, Oct 19, 2003

  2. As long as the server is NT kernel, you should be fine from the server side.
    MS Access is a bit tricky, if you keep connections open, but that is
    unlikely with ASP.NET. The users are not a great concern, unless they are
    pulling large amounts of data with a single query, then you may block
    another user. Concurrency is a possible issue, as well, but that is true
    with any database.

    Access is also designed for smaller amounts of data. I would suggest MSDE,
    but you say 10 concurrent users. MSDE can handle many users, as long as only
    5 are actually hitting the database at any one millisecond. It depends on
    how you are defining concurrent. If you mean 10 people are using the app at
    the same time, which means it is unlikely all 10 are actually hitting data
    at the same millisecond, MSDE is a better option than Access, as it is SQL
    Server.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Oct 20, 2003

  3. XFER

    Norman James Guest

    Thanks Gregory.
    It is so difficult to get actual figures on this topic.

    So, although the MSDE permits less (simultaneous) connections then
    Access, it performs better and allows larger amounts of data?

    What would the crossover point (Access -> MSDE) be with respect to data?
    I have insert/updates of 5Kb and occasional reads up to 25Kb. (Assuming
    max 5 simultaneous connections?)

    Norman

    Norman James, Oct 20, 2003
  4. MSDE is SQL Server 2000, only a "personal" version. As it is SQL Server, it
    has the benefits of being an actual database server, rather than an engine
    attached to a file. As it is a server, it will take more memory, but it will
    serve up pages much faster, even with more data.

    Realistically, I would never run an Access database more than around 25MB.
    That may be huge for you right now. I also would be very careful about
    access to the Access database, as it is quite easy to lock the database and
    have all users suffer. With MSDE, being SQL Server, it is harder (damn near
    impossible unless you are trying) to lock up the database completely.

    The 5 simultaneous connections generally equate to hundreds of Internet
    users, unless you are dumping huge amounts of data to a page (which is
    generally frowned apon). The reason is data access, if done correctly, takes
    a fraction of a second.

    Another benefit of MSDE is the ability to add stored procedures, which will
    add to security. As MSDE is more secure, by default, stored procs (aka
    sprocs) are just one additional security benefit.

    The hardest part is setting up MSDE for mixed mode, if you want to get away
    from integrated security (more secure, but a bit harder to grasp the
    concept). There are files on the support site for setting up a mixed mode
    database, as well as plenty of info on the web for using iSQL or oSQL to set
    up mixed mode after the fact.

    If you can get SQL Server, you can use the client tools to manage the
    database. If not, you are stuck with iSQL/oSQL or you can go out to source
    repositories, like SourceForge.net and find a database management tool.

    The extra benefit of MSDE is the ability to move up to full-fledged SQL
    Server if your needs grow.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Oct 23, 2003