ASP.net & MS Access database on IIS5/NT

XFER

Does anyone know how well 10 concurrent users will
perform on the above config? Are there any known issues,
limits to using MS Access with IIS 5 and ASP.net on a non-
..net server (NT)?
thanks.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

As long as the server is NT kernel, you should be fine from the server side.
MS Access is a bit tricky, if you keep connections open, but that is
unlikely with ASP.NET. The users are not a great concern, unless they are
pulling large amounts of data with a single query, then you may block
another user. Concurrency is a possible issue, as well, but that is true
with any database.

Access is also designed for smaller amounts of data. I would suggest MSDE,
but you say 10 concurrent users. MSDE can handle many users, as long as only
5 are actually hitting the database at any one millisecond. It depends on
how you are defining concurrent. If you mean 10 people are using the app at
the same time, which means it is unlikely all 10 are actually hitting data
at the same millisecond, MSDE is a better option than Access, as it is SQL
Server.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Norman James

Thanks Gregory.
It is so difficult to get actual figures on this topic.

So, although the MSDE permits less (simultaneous) connections then
Access, it performs better and allows larger amounts of data?

What would the crossover point (Access -> MSDE) be with respect to data?
I have insert/updates of 5Kb and occasional reads up to 25Kb. (Assuming
max 5 simultaneous connections?)

Norman

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

MSDE is SQL Server 2000, only a "personal" version. As it is SQL Server, it
has the benefits of being an actual database server, rather than an engine
attached to a file. As it is a server, it will take more memory, but it will
serve up pages much faster, even with more data.

Realistically, I would never run an Access database more than around 25MB.
That may be huge for you right now. I also would be very careful about
access to the Access database, as it is quite easy to lock the database and
have all users suffer. With MSDE, being SQL Server, it is harder (damn near
impossible unless you are trying) to lock up the database completely.

The 5 simultaneous connections generally equate to hundreds of Internet
users, unless you are dumping huge amounts of data to a page (which is
generally frowned apon). The reason is data access, if done correctly, takes
a fraction of a second.

Another benefit of MSDE is the ability to add stored procedures, which will
add to security. As MSDE is more secure, by default, stored procs (aka
sprocs) are just one additional security benefit.

The hardest part is setting up MSDE for mixed mode, if you want to get away
from integrated security (more secure, but a bit harder to grasp the
concept). There are files on the support site for setting up a mixed mode
database, as well as plenty of info on the web for using iSQL or oSQL to set
up mixed mode after the fact.

If you can get SQL Server, you can use the client tools to manage the
database. If not, you are stuck with iSQL/oSQL or you can go out to source
repositories, like SourceForge.net and find a database management tool.

The extra benefit of MSDE is the ability to move up to full-fledged SQL
Server if your needs grow.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA