ASP.Net navigation using Menu Control

Tom W

When I mouse over a Menu Control based navigation area the drop-down
selection list appears instantaneously. Is there a way to make it less
sensitive, so that it delays (even a fraction of a second would help) before
dropping down the menu?

Steve

Tom,

The OOTB Menu control doesn't seem to offer that property, but there are
alternatives.

With a CSS-based menu, you can use javascript to set a delay. Google: CSS
menu delay appearance

Alternately, DevExpress offers an ASP.NET menu component that has an
AppearsAfter property.
http://demos.devexpress.com/ASPxperienceDemos/Menu/Features.aspx

I haven't tried either of these personally, so can't recommend one over the
other.

Good luck, and let us know how you solve this.

HTH

Steve

Tom W

Thanks for the info, but not exactly what I expected from Microsoft. Instead
of adding the property in their Menu Control, they coerce me to pay for a 3rd
party product that does what theirs should???

Steve

Tom,

Microsoft's approach as I understand it has always been to provide a rich
customization capability but ship with only the most popular or desired
features. This opens up a huge third-party market for customized and
enhanced products. If I were a product manager trying to decide what to
implement, I don't think that an opening delay would have been very high on
the list. I only found a handful of references to the capability when I
searched for it. For someone like me who doesn't get to code all day every
day, third-party components that do exactly what I want are well worth the
relatively small cost involved. If you are working on a tight budget, then
perhaps that isn't the way to go.

You might be able to write a custom event handler to do what you want.
Perhaps one of the forum gurus will jump in here and suggest a way to do
that. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about it to guide you through it.

If the cost of third-party products is an issue, you can always try the
first option that I mentioned and write a CSS-based menu with javascript.
This is how I usually end up doing most of my menus anyway, even on ASP.NET
pages. I find this a lot easier than writing a long string of attributes or
using the properties box in Visual Studio.

HTH

Steve