Asp.net not happy about multiple files with the same name?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SamIAm, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. SamIAm

    SamIAm Guest

    Hi There

    I am a directory structure similar to the following:

    /images/
    /Area1/Default.aspx
    /Area2/Default.aspx
    /Area3/Default.aspx
    /Default.aspx

    All the classes in the code behind files are named correctly i.e.
    The class name in code behind for /Area1/Default.aspx is names
    Area1Default, Area2Default etc

    ..Net does seem to like that fact that there are multiple Default.aspx files
    in the project and I am getting all kinds of strange behaviour like code not
    running and when I try set breakpoints while debugging the ide will try and
    jump to other classes in other directories and set a random breakpoint??

    All the aspx pages have the correct codebehind and inherits properties set
    up.

    Any ideas?

    SamIAm, Oct 24, 2003

  2. SamIAm

    mikeb Guest

    SamIAm wrote:
    > Hi There
    >
    > I am a directory structure similar to the following:
    >
    > /images/
    > /Area1/Default.aspx
    > /Area2/Default.aspx
    > /Area3/Default.aspx
    > /Default.aspx
    >
    > All the classes in the code behind files are named correctly i.e.
    > The class name in code behind for /Area1/Default.aspx is names
    > Area1Default, Area2Default etc
    >
    > .Net does seem to like that fact that there are multiple Default.aspx files
    > in the project and I am getting all kinds of strange behaviour like code not
    > running and when I try set breakpoints while debugging the ide will try and
    > jump to other classes in other directories and set a random breakpoint??
    >
    > All the aspx pages have the correct codebehind and inherits properties set
    > up.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    As far as I know, ASP.NET does not have any trouble with a setup like
    this, but the debugger definitely does - it doesn't seem to take into
    account the full path, only the base filename, when locating source files.

    I suspect that you have other problems, but you might have to do some
    renaming of files to allow you to use the debugger to track them down.
    If that's not acceptable, tracing may be your best hope.

    --
    mikeb

    mikeb, Oct 24, 2003

  3. SamIAm

    SamIAm Guest

    There is a documented problem with the debugger. I guess we will just rename
    all the files when we go live.

    Thanks

    SamIAm, Oct 29, 2003