Asp.net not running error. I'm stumped.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by darrel, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. darrel

    darrel Guest

    It's been a long day. I've upgraded to XP Pro, installed IIS, installed
    ASP.net 1.1, installed VisualBasic.net 2003 and all of the umpteen patches
    and fixes for everything.

    But I still can't get it to work.

    When I go to make a new project in Visual Studio, I get this error:

    ---------------------------
    Microsoft Development Environment
    ---------------------------
    Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running
    ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web applications or
    services.
    ---------------------------
    OK Help
    ---------------------------

    I hit OK and nothing. I can run any file in my default WWWROOT via
    localhost, EXCEPT the default ASP pages, where it's asking for a
    username/pwd. I assume I have a permissions problem somewhere...but I'm not
    sure where...

    -Darrel

    darrel, Sep 27, 2004

  2. See
    aspnet_regiis.exe

    Andrew de la Harpe, Sep 27, 2004

  3. darrel

    Sahil Malik Guest

    You need to run

    C:\<<WINDIR>>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\V1.1.<<something>>\aspnet_regiis -r

    and then

    regsvr32
    C:\<<WINDIR>>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\V1.1.<<something>>\aspnet_isapi.dll

    That should get your webserver upgraded to framework 1.1

    - Sahil Malik
    You can reach me thru my blog -
    http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/weblog/sahilmalik

    Sahil Malik, Sep 27, 2004
  4. darrel

    darrel Guest

    > C:\<<WINDIR>>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\V1.1.<<something>>\aspnet_regiis -r
    >
    > and then
    >
    > regsvr32
    > C:\<<WINDIR>>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\V1.1.<<something>>\aspnet_isapi.dll

    OK, well, I got the first one to run. The second one just give me the 'you
    are attempting to open a file of type dll...' what should I open that with?

    I relaunched VS.net and tried to make a new project and now get this error:

    ---------------------------
    Microsoft Development Environment
    ---------------------------
    The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
    open the Web project located at the following URL:
    'http://localhost/Lottsa'. 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.
    ---------------------------
    OK Help
    ---------------------------

    which isn't too helpful.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Sep 27, 2004
  5. darrel

    Sahil Malik Guest

    Dude, you fast read my answer .. you've gotta run ..

    "RegSvr32 <<DLLWHOLEPATH>>"

    That's a COM ISAPI DLL that oyu need to register to the webserver. Oh yea
    and restart the webserver.

    Sahil Malik, Sep 27, 2004
  6. darrel

    darrel Guest

    > Dude, you fast read my answer .. you've gotta run ..
    >
    > "RegSvr32 <<DLLWHOLEPATH>>"

    Oops! Sorry about that. OK, so I ran that as well and restarted IIS. I still
    have the 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.

    Googling turned up this:

    http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/petergekko/archive/2004/09/08/24756.aspx

    Which looks like I might need to do the reinstall. Ugh.

    Thanks for the help, though!

    -Darrel

    darrel, Sep 27, 2004
  7. darrel

    Sahil Malik Guest

    Hmm .. I'm surprised that .. that wasn't enough. I've fixed many a webserver
    with that pair of commands and a restart of the webserver.

    Sahil Malik, Sep 27, 2004
  8. darrel

    darrel Guest

    darrel, Sep 27, 2004
  9. darrel

    Sahil Malik Guest

    Ok one last time for my sake do the following once again properly --

    aspnet_regiis -ir
    regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll
    restart your machine

    http://localhost

    Sahil Malik, Sep 27, 2004
  10. darrel

    darrel Guest

    > Ok one last time for my sake do the following once again properly --
    >
    > aspnet_regiis -ir
    > regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll
    > restart your machine

    Thanks for staying with me, Sahil.

    Alas, I did all of the above, and still, same error.

    I feel rather defeated tonight. I'm kind of seriously stuck. Might have to
    call in the tech support folks tomorrow.

    Thanks for the help, Sahil!

    -Darrel

    darrel, Sep 27, 2004
  11. if you are running windows 2003 there's a separate 'enable ASP.NET' switch
    accessible via IIS manager. only used it once and i don't have 2003 so i
    can't be more specific.

    Andrew de la Harpe, Sep 27, 2004
  12. darrel

    Mark Rae Guest

    "darrel" <> wrote in message
    >> Dude, you fast read my answer .. you've gotta run ..
    >>
    >> "RegSvr32 <<DLLWHOLEPATH>>"

    > Oops! Sorry about that. OK, so I ran that as well and restarted IIS. I
    > still have the 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.

    Sounds like you have the COM+ / DTS bug. We had that at work last week and
    it is caused by the upgrade from ASP.NET 1.0 to 1.1 which deinstalls (or,
    rather, unregisters) DTS. A reinstall of DTS will fix it.

    Mark Rae, Sep 27, 2004
  13. darrel

    Sahil Malik Guest

    Hey did you see the event log? Something is screwed up with your webserver,
    and the event log might point some clues..

    Sahil Malik, Sep 27, 2004
  14. darrel

    darrel Guest

    > Hey did you see the event log? Something is screwed up with your
    > webserver, and the event log might point some clues..

    Hmm...the only error I see repeatedly is this:

    ---------------------------
    Windows couldn't log the RSoP (Resultant Set of Policies) session status. An
    attempt to connect to WMI failed. No more RSoP logging will be done for this
    application of policy.
    ---------------------------

    I'll google that...

    -Darrel

    darrel, Sep 27, 2004
  15. darrel

    darrel Guest

    > if you are running windows 2003 there's a separate 'enable ASP.NET' switch
    > accessible via IIS manager. only used it once and i don't have 2003 so i
    > can't be more specific.

    Thanks, Andrew. Unfrotunately, I'm just running XP Pro.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Sep 27, 2004
  16. darrel

    darrel Guest

    > Sounds like you have the COM+ / DTS bug. We had that at work last week and
    > it is caused by the upgrade from ASP.NET 1.0 to 1.1 which deinstalls (or,
    > rather, unregisters) DTS. A reinstall of DTS will fix it.

    Great! Umm...what's DTS?

    (Googling that too right now...)

    -Darrel

    darrel, Sep 27, 2004
  17. darrel

    darrel Guest

    >> Sounds like you have the COM+ / DTS bug. We had that at work last week
    >> and it is caused by the upgrade from ASP.NET 1.0 to 1.1 which deinstalls
    >> (or, rather, unregisters) DTS. A reinstall of DTS will fix it.

    Well, I re-registered all my DTS component re: this link:

    http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/1461391

    Still, no luck. :(

    Thanks for the suggestion, though!

    -Darrel

    darrel, Sep 27, 2004
  18. darrel

    Sahil Malik Guest

    You might have already read this .. but here it is anyway
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Forums/messageview.cfm?catid=54&threadid=117894

    Sahil Malik, Sep 27, 2004
  19. darrel

    darrel Guest

    > You might have already read this .. but here it is anyway
    > http://www.winnetmag.com/Forums/messageview.cfm?catid=54&threadid=117894

    Hmm...I'm trying the one suggestoing I shut down WMI. It calls it " Windows
    Management Instrumentation service" but I see it listed as " Windows
    Management Instrumentation Driver Extension". Is that the same thing? I'm
    going to reboot to see if this solves anything.

    POSSIBLY related to my problem. I did notice that if I click on my COMPONENT
    SERVICES view and go down to COMPONENT SERVICES >> COMPUTERS >> MY COMPUTER
    >> and click on COM+ APPLICATIONS, I get this error:

    ---------------------------
    Catalog Error
    ---------------------------
    An error occurred while processing the last operation.
    Error code 80080005 - Server execution failed
    The event log may contain additional troubleshooting information.
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------

    Hmm....

    -Darrel

    darrel, Sep 27, 2004
  20. darrel

    Sahil Malik Guest

    Keep tryin' man keep tryin' if nothing works, leave the install of WinXP Pro
    running when u leave 4 lunch today. LOL

    - Sahil Malik
    You can reach me thru my blog at

    Sahil Malik, Sep 27, 2004