Asp.net not running error. I'm stumped.

darrel

It's been a long day. I've upgraded to XP Pro, installed IIS, installed
ASP.net 1.1, installed VisualBasic.net 2003 and all of the umpteen patches
and fixes for everything.

But I still can't get it to work.

When I go to make a new project in Visual Studio, I get this error:

---------------------------
Microsoft Development Environment
---------------------------
Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running
ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web applications or
services.
---------------------------
OK Help
---------------------------

I hit OK and nothing. I can run any file in my default WWWROOT via
localhost, EXCEPT the default ASP pages, where it's asking for a
username/pwd. I assume I have a permissions problem somewhere...but I'm not
sure where...

-Darrel

Sahil Malik

You need to run

C:\<<WINDIR>>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\V1.1.<<something>>\aspnet_regiis -r

and then

regsvr32
C:\<<WINDIR>>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\V1.1.<<something>>\aspnet_isapi.dll

That should get your webserver upgraded to framework 1.1

- Sahil Malik
You can reach me thru my blog -
http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/weblog/sahilmalik

darrel

C:\ said:
and then

regsvr32
C:\<<WINDIR>>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\V1.1.<<something>>\aspnet_isapi.dll

OK, well, I got the first one to run. The second one just give me the 'you
are attempting to open a file of type dll...' what should I open that with?

I relaunched VS.net and tried to make a new project and now get this error:

darrel

Double Ugh. Did all that and I'm still stuck with this error.

I'm really regretting not taking the PHP route right now...

*sigh*

-Darrel

darrel

Ok one last time for my sake do the following once again properly --
aspnet_regiis -ir
regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll
restart your machine

Thanks for staying with me, Sahil.

Alas, I did all of the above, and still, same error.

I feel rather defeated tonight. I'm kind of seriously stuck. Might have to
call in the tech support folks tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, Sahil!

-Darrel

Andrew de la Harpe

if you are running windows 2003 there's a separate 'enable ASP.NET' switch
accessible via IIS manager. only used it once and i don't have 2003 so i
can't be more specific.

Mark Rae

darrel said:
Oops! Sorry about that. OK, so I ran that as well and restarted IIS. I
still have the 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.

Sounds like you have the COM+ / DTS bug. We had that at work last week and
it is caused by the upgrade from ASP.NET 1.0 to 1.1 which deinstalls (or,
rather, unregisters) DTS. A reinstall of DTS will fix it.

darrel

Hey did you see the event log? Something is screwed up with your
webserver, and the event log might point some clues..

Hmm...the only error I see repeatedly is this:

darrel

if you are running windows 2003 there's a separate 'enable ASP.NET' switch
accessible via IIS manager. only used it once and i don't have 2003 so i
can't be more specific.

Thanks, Andrew. Unfrotunately, I'm just running XP Pro.

-Darrel

darrel

Sounds like you have the COM+ / DTS bug. We had that at work last week and
it is caused by the upgrade from ASP.NET 1.0 to 1.1 which deinstalls (or,
rather, unregisters) DTS. A reinstall of DTS will fix it.

Great! Umm...what's DTS?

(Googling that too right now...)

-Darrel

darrel

You might have already read this .. but here it is anyway

Hmm...I'm trying the one suggestoing I shut down WMI. It calls it " Windows
Management Instrumentation service" but I see it listed as " Windows
Management Instrumentation Driver Extension". Is that the same thing? I'm
going to reboot to see if this solves anything.

POSSIBLY related to my problem. I did notice that if I click on my COMPONENT
SERVICES view and go down to COMPONENT SERVICES >> COMPUTERS >> MY COMPUTER