ASP.NET on Server 2003 - Painfully Slow to Process Page?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Marc Castrechini, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. Forgive me on the lack of specifics but I am not a "server" guy.

    We just rolled our code out to a 2003 Server from Win2k Server and for some
    reason our pages are painfully slow. It appears the pages process fine (by
    spinning globe and 100% status bar. But then there is a dead wait time while
    it must be processing the request.redirect.

    Server 2003
    IIS 6.0
    Framework 1.1.4322.573
    Windows Authentication (Was using local users/groups on Win2k, now using AD
    accounts but trying to duplicate old user/group behavior)

    The system does work 100%, Authentication and group identification as well.
    Just a painfull wait time before pages.

    Everything worked beautifully on the new server for a short time. Not sure
    what changed.

    I hope this provides some insight, more detail will happily be provided
    where necessary.

    TIA
    - Marc
    Marc Castrechini, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Marc Castrechini

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    all calls or just the first?
    do you have the app pool expiring too soon?
    is the worker process in the task manager pegged really high?

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], Jul 14, 2004

  3. Marc Castrechini

    Morgan Guest

    Look in the event log for excessive asp_net service entries, which may
    indicate excessive restarts, which will cause the server to appear slow.

    Morgan, Jul 14, 2004
  4. After looking at the Event Log I actually found the problem. As part of our
    normal error handling and tracking we write to a custom Event Log category.
    That was not happening on the server and when we removed it from our
    authentication/roles code it runs fine.

    I will try to figure out what was happening but I am good with the Slow to
    Process page issue.

    Thanks for your help

    - Marc

    Marc Castrechini, Jul 15, 2004