asp.net, OWC and excel

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?cmljaGk=?=, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. Hello

    I would be grateful if somebody could give me some advice on the best
    practice.

    I am using OWC, VBScript and HTTP handlers to populate OWC Pivot tables and
    everything works fine. I transform my dataset into XML and persist this to
    the browser where VBScript manipulates the display of the Pivot Table. I
    think this works very well but i'm not sure whether its the best way to go
    about things.

    I now have a requirement to export a dataset to Excel which would be
    straight forward but the requirement is to have different products on
    seperate tabs. To do this I would have to automate excel and dump out the
    dataset row by row to the relevent tab. I would be very grateful if somebody
    could suggest the best way of doing this. I've read that automating Excel on
    the server is not the best way to go and i'm not sure about using the OWC on
    the server either.

    Any help would be greatly received.

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?cmljaGk=?=, Mar 21, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cmljaGk=?=

    Scott Allen Guest

    Yes - automating Office software server side can cause you headaches.
    If you have an intranet app supporting just a handful of users you
    might be able to get away with it - otherwise I'd look a third party
    component like Excel Writer:
    http://officewriter.softartisans.com/officewriter-37.aspx

    --
    Scott