asp.net page: Javascript not loading

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by GroupReader, Jul 3, 2007.

  1. GroupReader

    GroupReader Guest

    I posted a similar question earlier and got lots of good feedback, but
    now I have more information:

    Problem: I have javascript in a user control that is not "loading"
    properly. When I try to call the script from my page, I get "object
    not found".

    Temporary Workaround: This only happens when I have "debug=true" in my
    web.config. If I remove debug=true then then script works fine.

    More info:
    Here's the hierarchy of my entire page:

    Master Page
    Content Placehoder
    LeftUpdatePanel
    Very large infragistics treeview

    RightUpdatePanel
    TabContainer User Control
    Infragistics tab control - loads another UserControl
    for each "tab"
    Tab User Control
    PROBLEM HERE: Script that is not loading
    properly is way down here.

    I can try to call a function that does "alert('hello');" and the
    function is not found.
    When I compile the application in release mode without debug=true, all
    works fine.

    What's going on?? Any ideas?? Thank you very much. I welcome all
    comments.

    GroupReader, Jul 3, 2007

  2. GroupReader

    Guest

    I am new to asp.net so i could be way off...
    Is it possible that since performace can take a major hit when
    debug=true,
    that your control isn't yet loaded when you try to access it?
    Maybe make your program wait for a sec?
    Just a shot in the dark
    jojoba

    , Jul 3, 2007

  3. Hi -

    Take a look at the actual source your page is producing; is it
    including the same javascript function multiple times?(once for each
    instance of the control).

    If so, this will also produce this error - you can't have more than
    one JS function of the same name.

    To get around this problem, you can either:

    A) Generate the javascript dynamically, appending the ClientID to the
    control after every reference of the function name (including the
    function declaration)

    B) Put the Javascript in a seperate file, and manually include this
    file once on every page that uses your control. (do a search on client-
    side includes)

    Solution A is ideal if you plan on distributing the control amongst a
    team or selling it. It's the better approach from a OOP point of view.
    Unfortunately, by doing so, you end up with sloppy and overly verbose
    HTML. Solution B) allows for cleaner output, but it might make you
    scratch your head the next time you try to use this control.

    You may be able to work with a third option wherein the controls
    determine (through a shared variable, perhaps) whether or not there is
    another control of the same type on the page, and whether or not the
    client side include has already been written out, but that may be
    more complicated than your project mandates.

    Good Luck,

    -Mark

    Mark S. Milley, MCSD (BinarySwitch), Jul 3, 2007
  4. GroupReader

    GroupReader Guest

    Awesome suggestions. Yep, I've tried all that.

    Most code is in external files. The code that does not work is in the
    page (user control) since it references page elements. I don't think
    I have multiple copies of the functions loading since it fails on the
    first time through.

    .... And why would this only happen when compiled with debug mode ==
    true??

    The only thing I'm embarrased to say that I haven't tried yet is to
    view the actual source. "View source" will not work since this is all
    in UpdatePanels and Infragistics tabs. I'll need to download
    "Fiddler" to look at the data coming back.

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    GroupReader, Jul 3, 2007