asp.net performance test results, are they to be expected?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rick, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    A prior thread on this topic created more results, so I recompiled all the
    new and old data into a easier to read format. Your thoughts are encouraged.

    I ran Microsoft's free "Web Application Stress" tool to get a performance
    base for asp.net/c#. I'm thinking once I know what server resources a dummy
    asp.net page will consume under load, then I can really determine the load
    costs of added c# code and controls.

    Network:
    WAS ran on a server with a t3 Internet connection to the test server.
    Bytes Sent Rate (in KB/s): 75.93
    Bytes Recv Rate (in KB/s): 311.78

    Test Server:
    Windows 2000 SP 4
    ~1000 MHz AMD CPU
    1 GIG RAM
    IIS 5, no logging

    Pages Tested:
    a) dumb.htm 20 lines of super simple html text, no tables, css etc.
    b) dumb.asp same as A just extension changed.
    c) dumb.aspx same exact text as in dumb.htm (no asp controls added), but
    created in VS with code behind cs file that I didn't alter.
    d) dumb2.aspx with view state, etc turned off, details below.

    WAS Settings:
    All default except:
    Stress Level (threads) 30 [sockets remained 1 per thread]
    Test Run Time: 5 mins
    Number of test clients: 1

    RESULTS:

    Dumb.htm
    CPU Averaged 21%
    Number of hits: 95276
    Requests per Second: 317.58
    TTFB (Time to First byte) Avg: 48.60
    TTLB (Time to Last byte) Avg: 48.62

    Dumb.asp
    CPU Averaged 54%
    Number of hits: 90880
    Requests per Second: 302.94
    TTFB (Time to First byte) Avg: 52.63
    TTLB (Time to Last byte) Avg: 52.66

    Dumb.aspX
    CPU Averaged 94%
    Number of hits: 79973
    Requests per Second: 266.58
    TTFB (Time to First byte) Avg: 62.25
    TTLB (Time to Last byte) Avg: 66.28

    Dumb2.aspX*
    CPU Averaged 90%
    Number of hits: 83283
    Requests per Second: 277.61
    TTFB (Time to First byte) Avg: 61.95
    TTLB (Time to Last byte) Avg: 61.98
    * <%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="Page2.aspx.cs" AutoEventWireup="false"
    Inherits="Page2.Page2" EnableSessionState="False" enableViewState="False"
    debug="False"%>

    Then I ran dump.aspX on a Windows 2003 Server, ~1800 MHz AMD CPU and 500
    Megs RAM.

    Dumb.aspX
    CPU Averaged 49%
    Number of hits: 89482
    Requests per Second: 297.81
    TTFB (Time to First byte) Avg: 51.59
    TTLB (Time to Last byte) Avg: 51.66

    Are these results typical? What am I missing, it seem odd that asp.net is
    consuming some much cpu to return a compiled page that does nothing?

    Rick

    P.S. Global.asax does does nothing other than what VS.NET created.

    Below is the web.config file:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>

    <system.web>

    <compilation
    defaultLanguage="c#"
    debug="false"
    />

    <customErrors
    mode="Off"
    />

    <authentication mode="None" />

    <authorization>
    <allow users="*" /> <!-- Allow all users -->
    <!-- <allow users="[comma separated list of users]"
    roles="[comma separated list of roles]"/>
    <deny users="[comma separated list of users]"
    roles="[comma separated list of roles]"/>
    -->
    </authorization>

    <trace
    enabled="false"
    requestLimit="10"
    pageOutput="false"
    traceMode="SortByTime"
    localOnly="true"
    />

    <sessionState
    mode="InProc"
    stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
    sqlConnectionString="data
    source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes"
    cookieless="false"
    timeout="20"
    />

    <globalization