ASP.NET permission problems from a network share

Matt Calhoon

Hi there,

I have a new win 2003 web server and having troubles setting up .NET. Im getting the following error from my applications:

Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientPermission, System.Data, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 failed.

I have done the following;

1. Created a new domain user for asp.net, updated the machine.config file to use this user.

2. Configured the appropriate permissions as detailed in the Table 1 here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservic...l=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/SecNetHT01.asp

3. Read the info from here: http://blogs.msdn.com/shawnfa/archive/2003/06/20/57023.aspx and tried setting the LocalIntranet_Zone Permission Set to FullTrust (just to see if it would resolve the problem - but it did not)

The websites are located on a network share (accessed by \\filer\home\websitename\)

The database server is on a separate win 2003 domain controller

thanks in advance for any help.

Raterus

I asked a similar question awhile ago, and got this response.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...n3BzhGLEHA.1340%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl&rnum=2

I would suggest running the websites locally on the webserver and see if that fixes the problem. Storing the websites on a network folder like that can introduce a ton of issues, and I would suggest not going that route if possible.

Another possibility if you have to keep the website updated on this share is to frequently sync this share with the wwwroot on the IIS server. You could then update the share with changes, and it will be copied over to IIS.

Hope any of this helps,
--Michael