asp.net postbacks don't work after leaving browser open all night w/ windows integrated authenticati

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Ken Yee, Oct 20, 2006.

  1. Ken Yee

    Ken Yee Guest

    Has anyone seen this?

    If you open up an MSIE (latest 6.x) browser window on a web app that is
    set to allow only windows integrated authentication, the next morning, if
    you click on any of the links (they're trivial asp.net controls like a
    hyperlink but it uses postbacks), you'll get cryptic javascript errors
    like "permission denied; line 97 character 2" (which references nothing
    when you do view source) or "object expected; line 1 character 1".

    Closing the browser and opening a new one brings up the web application
    properly after you log in...no javascript errors. This tells me that
    it's a client-side issue rather than a server-side issue.

    I also have MSIE 6.x set to "check pages on every visit" instead of
    "automatically" in the cache settings, but I think this is only affecting
    web pages and not the windows authentication credentials.

    TIA.

    ken
    Ken Yee, Oct 20, 2006

  2. Ken Yee

    Scott M. Guest

    I don't know, it seems like it is a server-side authentication issue to me.
    Client-side pages are static, if they do something at 7pm, they do it again
    at 7am. If that is not happening for you, it is most likely a server-side
    problem.

    Scott M., Oct 21, 2006

  3. Ken Yee

    Ken Yee Guest

    "Scott M." <> wrote in

    > I don't know, it seems like it is a server-side authentication issue
    > to me. Client-side pages are static, if they do something at 7pm, they
    > do it again at 7am. If that is not happening for you, it is most
    > likely a server-side problem.

    With basic authentication, I suspect this is true since the browser will
    send over the username/password automatically if the server says it is
    not authenticated.

    My suspicion of what happens with windows authentication as follows:
    - MSIE client issues username/password to server
    - server issues a windows integrated authentication token w/ some
    expiration date
    - client uses token for a while
    - the next morning, the token has already expired, but the client is
    still using the same token (the stale cache issue), so the old cached
    pages work but the non-cached ones do not

    I was hoping someone else may have experienced the same issue...

    ken
    Ken Yee, Oct 25, 2006