ASP.NET process eats all CPU time

Casper Hornstrup

On a Windows 2000 Server/IIS 5.0 with ASP.NET 1.1 in a production
environment, I'm experiencing that the ASP.NET process is eating all CPU
time, making the websites very slow. How can I debug this? It is probably
just one of the websites that causes a problem. How can I find out which?

Thanks,
Casper

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Casper,

From your description, you deploy a asp.net web application on a w2k server
machine and currently you found the web application is suffering 100% cpu
utilization problem, yes?

Based on my experience, there're many things may cause such problem.
1. There is a kb article on the the frequent string manipulation will cause
the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307340

2. Also, some times the problem may be caused by the code logic in the
asp.net web application. Such as deadlock.

3. And have you used any third-party component or other components, they
also will cause the problem sometimes.

If the general check can't help, I think we need to request some in depth
troubleshooting such as dump analysis. Also, you can have a search in the
newsgroup for some former threads which may also provide some clues. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Casper,

Have you had a chance to check out the suggestions in my last reply or have
you got any further progress on this issue? If there're anything else we
can help, please feel free to post here. Thanks.