ASP.NET Processor Ignoring DataLists?

Jonathan Hollinger

Very, very strange problem. In developing a C# ASP.NET
application, every so often, DataLists disappear from the
build. They remain visible and rendered (though
sometimes dropping properties and event handlers) but do
not seem to be included in the build (and are
consequently not rendered on the web page). I've looked
into the problem throughly, comparing output library
sizes and it seems as though DataLists (all datalists on
a page) are not parses and included properly by the
ASP.NET parser tool. Though, I am not sure whether the
problem lies is VS.NET or not. Sometimes, I can "force"
the page to rerecognize the control as existing, but then
on rendering the web page I get an error essentially
saying that there is no bound datasource. The datasource
was bound in the ASP tag itself and not is the code
behind the page, which leads me to believe that the
problem lies in the ASP.NET processor. I've even gone so
far as to reinstall VS.NET and the .NET framework to no
avail.

Though, another interesting twist that I found was that
at the same time the DataLists were not rendering, it
seems the data from a DropDownList which I had added
manually (not a DataBind) in the PageLoad event was being
dropped and not showing up either. Other pre-compiled
custom controls on the page which have similar
functionality (essentially DropDownList's with
data/manually bound list items) were not affected though.

Hmmm...

Any ideas? Please please let me know. This is driving
me absolutely nuts and has virtually ceased development
for about a week now.

Thanks a lot,
Jonathan Hollinger

MS News \(MS ILM\)

When ever I add things manually in the HTML page and in the Web Form Designer generated code
I get into these kind of problems

Try using the Designer page as much as possible unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Once it works does it keep on working untill you mess with it again?

Jonathan Hollinger

No, I didn't add anything manually that made this
happen. I do tend to manipulate the HTML manually, but
the page I was working was working fine. The problem
actually tends to appear sporadically. Usually with a
change to the underlying C# code. I have even had a
problem where this problem will cascade across multiple
pages.