ASP.NET Quick start Tutorials

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Luke Vogel, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. Luke Vogel

    Luke Vogel Guest

    Hi all,

    I've just started with asp.net, and thought I'd work my may through the
    quick start tutorials before asking any silly questions.

    I didn't get very far. On the 'Introducing Web Forms' page there are a
    number of examples, and I cant get the 'vb intro8.aspx' example (and
    others) to run.

    The browser displays the error screen describing:
    Invalid object name 'Titles'
    and
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid object name 'Titles'.
    and then a stack trace (none of which makes sense to me).

    I do have the SQLServer running but I don't have a clue how to remedy
    the problem so that I can see the examples working.

    BTW, I have downloaded the "I Buy Spy" e-commerce example and it works
    fine so I assume the IIS/SQL/ASP.NET interactions are working as they
    should.

    Any suggestions on what I need to do to make it work?

    TIA
    --
    Regards
    Luke
    Luke Vogel, Jul 1, 2004

  2. Dear Luke,
    Go To SQL Server Enterprise Manager and browse the database. Check whether the table "Titles" exist or not. If exist, there is some problem with the code. If it doesn't exist, create a table called "Titles" and populate it with some data.
    Since you are getting an error called "Invalid object name 'Titles'". I hope that the table is not there in the Database.
    Check it and get back to me.
    Regards,
    John
    --
    MTS-Software Engineer,
    Sharp Software Development India, Pvt. Ltd.,

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBQYXVsLiBBIChNQ1AgSUQjIDMwMTUxNzYp, Jul 1, 2004

  3. Luke Vogel

    Luke Vogel Guest

    Thanks for your reply John,

    You're going to have to be patient with me, remember I'm new to all this
    :)

    Where do I find the "SQL Server Enterprise Manager"?

    Surely this should work out of the box as these are just the tutorial
    files that come with Visual Studio. Should I perhaps re-install/repair
    the installation?

    --
    Regards
    Luke

    "John Paul. A (MCP ID# 3015176)" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Luke Vogel, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Luke Vogel

    Zenobia Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:16:31 +1000, "Luke Vogel"
    <not@_real_address> wrote:

    >Thanks for your reply John,
    >
    >You're going to have to be patient with me, remember I'm new to all this
    >:)
    >
    >Where do I find the "SQL Server Enterprise Manager"?
    >
    >Surely this should work out of the box as these are just the tutorial
    >files that come with Visual Studio. Should I perhaps re-install/repair
    >the installation?
    >
    >--
    >Regards
    >Luke

    I was wondering, for a minute, whether you were taking the piss.

    SQL Server is a separate program from Visual Studio.

    There's a panel in Visual Studio on the LHS that shows available
    databases. If you see MSDE or SQL Server there then you're
    nearly OK.

    If you don't then you need to install a cut down version of SQL
    Server called MSDE, which comes for free and will substitute.
    You can download MSDE from Microsoft's web site:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/downloads/download.asp.
    The problem with MSDE is that it comes with no tools (such as
    the afore-mentioned "SQL Server Enterprise Manager" and "Query
    Analyser". You will need to find a tool that allows you to
    manage database objects for MSDE. The proper forum to ask about
    such items is: news:microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde

    To manage MSDE you could try installing "SQl Server Web Data
    Administrator, after you've installed MSDE:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C039A798-C57A-419E-ACBC-2A332CB7F959&displaylang=en>

    You may need to configure MSDE to get this working. I had to
    configure network protocols separately for my copy of MSDE,
    after installation.

    I think using Visual Studio to write ASP.NET is sometimes a bit
    tedious. You actually only need a text editor. Check out this
    tutorial book: ASP.NET Unleashed - by Stephen Walther - very
    easy to learn with and it completely by-passes Visual Studio -
    available for only $25 2nd hand with a whopping 1441 pages.
    Zenobia, Jul 1, 2004