asp.net remote [hosted] configuration usse

Toby Considine

I often have a need for a hosted sub-app, for example, adding a secure
dotnet area in a publicly hosted site, a migration to an ASPX area inside of
an existing ASP site. This sub-app may rely on its own security setting
(which are application wide.)

I have talked to the hosting support. THey say "You can create that in
Front Page"

ok

I have installed Frontpage XP to get back just the admin functions.
I have created a sub-directory and then defined a sub-web (using FP Web
Admin) on these 2003-based servers. So far so good.

Now I consistently (on several sites, with two different providers get a
message similar to:

in IIS.

So how do I remotely configure this function. No problem if I own the
server, and I havve IIS Admin close to hand, but how do I do this remotely?

thanks

tc

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Toby,

You may try one of the two methods to configure the virtual directory as an
application in IIS.

1. The FrontPage Server Extensions Access Method

a. Create an account on the remote Web Server. Add this account to the VS
Developers group. This permits you to create applications on the Web
server. If you want to debug your applications by using Visual Studio .NET,
you must also add this account to the Administrators group on the server.
b. On the local computer, create a duplicate of the account that you
created in step 1 by using the same user name and password. Verify that
this account is listed as a local Administrator. Use this account to log on
to the local computer when you develop applications against the remote Web
server.

2. Connect to the remote web server using your IIS and create an
application on IIS.

a. Open Internet Services Manager. Or, if you run Microsoft Windows XP on
your computer, open Internet Information Services.
b. In the left pane, right-click on the root node and select "connect" on
the pop up menu. Input the remote computer name(Or IP address) and
account(Administrator account on the remote server).
c. Right-click the name of your virtual directory, and then click
Properties.
d. Make sure that the Web site name or the virtual directory name is listed
in the Application Name box under Application Settings. If it is not
listed, click Create.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "Toby Considine" <[email protected]>
| Subject: asp.net remote [hosted] configuration usse
| Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:53:02 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
|
| I often have a need for a hosted sub-app, for example, adding a secure
| dotnet area in a publicly hosted site, a migration to an ASPX area inside
of
| an existing ASP site. This sub-app may rely on its own security setting
| (which are application wide.)
|
| I have talked to the hosting support. THey say "You can create that in
| Front Page"
|
| ok
|
| I have installed Frontpage XP to get back just the admin functions.
| I have created a sub-directory and then defined a sub-web (using FP Web
| Admin) on these 2003-based servers. So far so good.
|
| Now I consistently (on several sites, with two different providers get a
| message similar to:
|
| Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as
| allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error
| can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application
| in IIS.
|
| So how do I remotely configure this function. No problem if I own the
| server, and I havve IIS Admin close to hand, but how do I do this
remotely?

| thanks
|
| tc

Toby Considine

Both these solutiuons work well with, say a dedicated hosted machine, or one
in which I am actualy the admin. Neither works in the usual small-medium
site hosted scenario in which my site is one of a dozen (or many more - hard
to know) sites hosted on a single rmeote 2003 server. The hoster is not
going to give me access to any tools that will take down someone else's
site. That includes machine admin rights.

The scenario again is that I have a hosted site with an account that is able
to manipulate the that one site, one of many on a remote PC running Win2k3.
FP lets me creat a sub-site. but not, as far as I can tell, set the
application for that remote site.

This means (1) is flat out. (2) I had not tried, but also does not work.

I need a way to access Remote PCs within the context that a hoster is
willing to provide to a single developer.

Lewis Wang said:
> [...]

| Front Page"
|
| ok
|
| I have installed Frontpage XP to get back just the admin functions.
| I have created a sub-directory and then defined a sub-web (using FP Web
| Admin) on these 2003-based servers. So far so good.
|
| Now I consistently (on several sites, with two different providers get a
| message similar to:
|
| Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as
| allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error
| can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application
| in IIS.
|
| So how do I remotely configure this function. No problem if I own the
| server, and I havve IIS Admin close to hand, but how do I do this

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Toby,

The ISP's server must be configured properly in order to be able to create
projects remotely using VS.NET. For more info check:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vstechar
t/html/vstchremoteserverconfigurationfordevelopingwebprojectsusingvisualstud
ionet.asp

Now, as far as creating folders on IIS/making a folder an Application, this
is something that requires permissions from ISP. Some of them provide
access to IIS using some sort of Web Interface or let you create folders
using FrontPage etc.

You may need to check with the ISP about both of the above.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
> [...]
| listed
| > in the Application Name box under Application Settings. If it is not
| > listed, click Create.
| >
| > Hope this helps.
| >
| > Best regards,
| > Lewis

| rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Toby Considine" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: asp.net remote [hosted] configuration usse
| > | Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:53:02 -0400
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
| > |
| > | I often have a need for a hosted sub-app, for example, adding a secure
| > | dotnet area in a publicly hosted site, a migration to an ASPX area
| inside
| > of
| > | an existing ASP site. This sub-app may rely on its own security
| > |
| > | I have talked to the hosting support. THey say "You can create that
in
| > | Front Page"
| > |
| > | ok
| > |
| > | I have installed Frontpage XP to get back just the admin functions.
| > | I have created a sub-directory and then defined a sub-web (using FP
Web
| > | Admin) on these 2003-based servers. So far so good.
| > |
| > | Now I consistently (on several sites, with two different providers
get a
| > | message similar to:
| > |
| > | Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as
| > | allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
| > error
| > | can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
| > application
| > | in IIS.
| > |
| > | So how do I remotely configure this function. No problem if I own the
| > | server, and I havve IIS Admin close to hand, but how do I do this
| > remotely?
| > |
| > | thanks
| > |
| > | tc
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

Toby Considine

Thanks. I am sending that URL to several hosting ISPs. The first one that
comes up with an effective response wins the business of my clients.

tc

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...rationfordevelopingwebprojectsusingvisualstud
> [...]

| listed
| > in the Application Name box under Application Settings. If it is not
| > listed, click Create.
| >
| > Hope this helps.
| >
| > Best regards,
| > Lewis

| rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Toby Considine" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: asp.net remote [hosted] configuration usse
| > | Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:53:02 -0400
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
| > |
| > | I often have a need for a hosted sub-app, for example, adding a secure
| > | dotnet area in a publicly hosted site, a migration to an ASPX area
| inside
| > of
| > | an existing ASP site. This sub-app may rely on its own security
| > |
| > | I have talked to the hosting support. THey say "You can create that
in
| > | Front Page"
| > |
| > | ok
| > |
| > | I have installed Frontpage XP to get back just the admin functions.
| > | I have created a sub-directory and then defined a sub-web (using FP
Web
| > | Admin) on these 2003-based servers. So far so good.
| > |
| > | Now I consistently (on several sites, with two different providers
get a
| > | message similar to:
| > |
| > | Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as
| > | allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
| > error
| > | can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
| > application
| > | in IIS.
| > |
| > | So how do I remotely configure this function. No problem if I own the
| > | server, and I havve IIS Admin close to hand, but how do I do this
| > remotely?
| > |
| > | thanks
| > |