ASP.Net ReportingServices & CPU Usage

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Blasting Cap, Jul 30, 2007.

  1. Blasting Cap

    Blasting Cap Guest

    I have a report (stored procedure) that I have set up in SQL 2005
    Reporting Services. In a web app, I put a Reportviewer control on the
    page, and call the report. After a lot of trial & error, it appears to
    work.

    Sort of.

    What happens is when I open it on that tab (I am using AJAX Tab panels,
    which had been working fine without this behavior prior to finally
    getting the reportviewer working), and the report displays, the "e" on
    Internet explorer at the top of the tab now flickers, like the page is
    reloading. It also runs the CPU up to 100% on the computer and although
    I can go from tab to tab in it (I am using AJAX tab panels in the page),
    it will take like up to a minute to go to the next tab. I'm not doing
    anything really data-intensive on those tabs, and they had been
    functioning fine prior to putting in the report viewer (i.e. they
    weren't flickering & clocking the CPU).

    I eventually have to kill the page to do anything, because it has the
    system up to 100%.

    Any idea why reportviewer might make this act this way?

    Thanks for the help,

    Blasting Cap, Jul 30, 2007

  2. How much data are you churning in RS? The way to tell is look at how much
    data is actaully returned from the sproc.

    As much as possible, try to filter down your data and do calcs in the sproc,
    not in RS. If you return large data sets to RS, you will churn the machine.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jul 30, 2007

  3. Blasting Cap

    Blasting Cap Guest

    That's just it - the data isn't that much.

    I'm calling a stored procedure with 5 parameters, and it returns 1588
    rows in Query Analyzer, and runs in 5 seconds there. The only
    difference in QA and the Reportviewer is that I am subtotaling & grand
    totaling 3 columns.

    If I try to run this from within the ReportViewer, when launching that
    web page, it will run the CPU up to 100% until I kill it. Pages are
    extremely sluggish, and it'll take a minute or two to just go between
    tabs on those 3 pages. I'm doing a Gridview on one tab, that returns
    about 50 records, and a dropdown box on the second tab that returns
    about 25 records, and then this one that I'm doing in the Reportviewer.

    If I take out the reportviewer, the other two pages work as they should,
    in next to no time at all.

    Once I add back the reportviewer, the "e" on the Internet Explorer tab
    flickers and I can watch the CPU usage on the computer go to 100% and
    stay there until I kill the procedure. I can close it out using the X
    on internet explorer, but it takes several minutes for the web browser
    to detect that I've killed the window.

    This is behavior beyond strange.

    BC

    Blasting Cap, Jul 31, 2007
  4. Try returning the aggregates from the stored procedure and see how that
    changes things. It could be that your total calculations are causing issue.

    I will have to mull over other possibilities.

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jul 31, 2007
  5. What happens when you run the report from the web interface using Report
    Manager. This will tell you if it is a report issue or an integration issue
    with ReportViewer. My guess is that you are telling reportviewer over and
    over again to get the report.

    --
    Bruce Loehle-Conger
    MVP SQL Server Reporting Services

    Bruce L-C [MVP], Jul 31, 2007
  6. Blasting Cap

    Blasting Cap Guest

    Just for giggles, I did another report, basically taking a product
    listing, that would return about 100 records, that had some numeric
    fields on it, but I didn't do any summing or totalling.

    This report performs the same way when I call it from the reportviewer.

    If I go to the website, http://mycomputer/reports$sql2005, and run it,
    it takes about 5 seconds to display & you don't get the "flickering" of
    the "e" on Internet Explorer like you do when I try to run the same
    report from within the report viewer.

    How am I telling the reportviewer over & over again to get the report?

    The fact that I have no totaling in the report tells me that it's not
    the returning of the data that is the problem.

    The code that calls the report:

    <cc1:TabPanel ID="TabPanel3" runat="server" HeaderText="TabPanel3">
    <ContentTemplate>
    <rsweb:reportviewer id="ReportViewer1"
    runat="server" font-names="Verdana" font-size="8pt"
    height="90%" width="90%"
    ProcessingMode="Remote">
    <ServerReport ReportServerUrl="http://mycomputer/ReportServer$SQL2005/"
    ReportPath="/BA10listing"></ServerReport>
    </rsweb:reportviewer>
    </ContentTemplate>
    </cc1:TabPanel>

    BC

    Blasting Cap, Jul 31, 2007
  7. I have only used the winform version of the reportviewer control (I assume
    you are using the reportviewer control that ships with VS 2005). Somewhere
    you have to be responding to an event where you tell the control what report
    to render. If you do this over and over again you could be causing it to
    thrash.

    Bruce L-C [MVP], Jul 31, 2007
  8. Try the reportviewer control on a simple web page and see if the same thing
    happens. I.e. no tabs, just a single simple web page.

    Bruce L-C [MVP], Jul 31, 2007
  9. Blasting Cap

    Blasting Cap Guest

    I tried it in the following ways:

    - I took an AJAX enabled web page, and added the reportviewer to it.
    Brought up the report, did the same thing - the "flickering" of the "e"
    on Internet explorer, acting like the page is loading.

    I figured then that it could be that AJAX itself was causing the problem.

    - I went in & created just a regular old ASP.NET page. (HTML follows).
    It performed exactly the same way as the others, pegging the CPU at
    100% until I killed it.

    The report itself was a "nothing" report - returned 100 or so records,
    no sums, no totals, no formatting.

    HTML of the regular aspx page is:

    <%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false"
    CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="_Default" %>

    <%@ Register Assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=8.0.0.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
    Namespace="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms" TagPrefix="rsweb" %>

    <head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
    </head>

    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    Font-Names="Verdana" Font-Size="8pt" Height="400px"
    ProcessingMode="Remote" Width="400px">
    <ServerReport ReportPath="/BA10listing"
    ReportServerUrl="http://mycomputer/ReportServer$SQL2005/" />
    </rsweb:ReportViewer>

    </form>

    I've looked at the properties of it, too.

    Under BEHAVIOR:
    Enabled = True
    EnableTheming = True
    EnableViewState = True
    Visible = True

    Under MISC:
    AsyncRendering = True
    ExportContentDisposition = OnlyHTMLInline
    under LocalReport
    EnableExternal Images = False
    EnableHyperlinks = False
    Processingmode = Remote

    Under SERVERREPORT - everything's in there - the report name, the
    reportserverURL, that both work.

    Under TOOLBAR:
    DocumentMapCollapsed = False
    ShowbackButton = False
    ShowDocumentMapButton = True
    ShowExportControls = True
    ShowFindControls = True
    ShowPageNavigationControls = True
    ShowPrintButton = True
    ShowPromptAreaButton = True
    Show RefreshButton = True
    ShowZoomControl = True

    I don't see anything that "obviously" would make it refresh/hang like it
    does.

    Using VS 2005, Windows XP. It performs the same way whether I connect
    to the local box(my computer) with both SQL 2000 & SQL 2005 on it, or to
    a remote box with both on it too.

    Any help, suggestions appreciated.

    Thanks,

    BC

    Blasting Cap, Aug 1, 2007
  10. Again, note that I have only used this with Winform control not webform
    control. A couple of things to try. Try turning async off. Next, don't have
    the report hardcoded. Instead, put a button that sets the report name and
    other information (just as a test)

    Bruce L-C [MVP], Aug 1, 2007
  11. Blasting Cap

    Blasting Cap Guest

    I tried turning off Async, and it didn't make any difference.

    On the page (plain old dot net aspx page), what I've found out is that
    it will load and act normally, but as soon as the page has been
    rendered, it starts the clocking behavior. When you try to move the
    scrollbars on the report, etc. it takes a long time to get them to
    respond. And when they do, they immediately go back to maxing out the
    CPU.

    I tried the suggestion of putting a button that sets the report name,
    and it didn't make any difference. Code is below.

    What happened was that when I ran the page, with the
    reportviewer1.visible = false, only the button rendered and the web page
    was fine - it wasn't hanging the CPU. I hit the button, and it performs
    exactly as I indicated earlier. It displays the report, and it pegs the
    CPU at 100% and stays that way until I kill the page.

    Here's the code in the codefile:

    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    If Not Page.IsPostBack Then
    Me.ReportViewer1.Visible = False
    End If
    ReportViewer1.ServerReport.ReportPath = ""

    End Sub

    System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    ReportViewer1.Visible = True
    ReportViewer1.ServerReport.ReportPath = "/BA10listing"

    End Sub

    The code in the aspx part of the page:

    <%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false"
    CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="_Default" %>

    <%@ Register Assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=8.0.0.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
    Namespace="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms" TagPrefix="rsweb" %>

    <head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
    </head>

    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Button" />
    <rsweb:ReportViewer ID="ReportViewer1" runat="server"
    Font-Names="Verdana" Font-Size="8pt" Height="400px"
    ProcessingMode="Remote" Width="400px" AsyncRendering="False"
    ShowDocumentMapButton="False">
    <ServerReport ReportPath="/BA10listing"
    ReportServerUrl="http://mycomputer/ReportServer$SQL2005/" />
    </rsweb:ReportViewer>
    &nbsp;

    </form>

    ..... so you can see there's a lot going on here. The report returns
    ~100 records or so, no calculations, no summation, no grand totals.
    Basically a "nothing" report, just listing product info data. Both the
    IIS and the reportserver are on my computer.

    In SQL Reporting Services in the web browser, this report displays fine,
    no problems. It's only when I call it from the Reportviewer inside a
    web page that it hangs.

    Any ideas? Anyone?

    BC

    Blasting Cap, Aug 1, 2007
  12. I suggest posting this to the web based forums. I know the other MVP hangs
    out there and he has used this control a lot. I suggest putting reportviewer
    control in the subject.

    http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showforum.aspx?forumid=82&siteid=1

    Bruce L-C [MVP], Aug 1, 2007