ASP.NET Response Delay - Slow

Vito DeCarlo

Over the past week, I've been noticing that any websites (on this one
particular web server) built with ASP.NET have unusually slow (5 second)
response times when moving through the site. There are times when the
delays dissappear, but they are existent 80% of the time.

This has only started up over the past week or so and I have checked CPU
usage, memory usage, etc. I've also reinstalled the 1.1 version of the .NET
framework just to be safe. Does anyone have any idea what might be casuing
this?

Just to give you an example, here are a few sites to look at:

ASP (works fine): http://www.UticaFire.com
ASP.NET (slow): http://www.ThePulse.com
ASP.NET (slow): http://www.CeilingDesigns.com
ASP.NET (absolutely no code behind - and still slow):
http://modus.thepulse.net

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this problem.

Vito DeCarlo
The Pulse Internet Services, Inc.

Martin Honnen

Vito said:
Over the past week, I've been noticing that any websites (on this one
particular web server) built with ASP.NET have unusually slow (5 second)
response times when moving through the site. There are times when the
delays dissappear, but they are existent 80% of the time.

This has only started up over the past week or so and I have checked CPU
usage, memory usage, etc. I've also reinstalled the 1.1 version of the .NET
framework just to be safe. Does anyone have any idea what might be casuing
this?

Just to give you an example, here are a few sites to look at:

ASP (works fine): http://www.UticaFire.com
ASP.NET (slow): http://www.ThePulse.com
ASP.NET (slow): http://www.CeilingDesigns.com
ASP.NET (absolutely no code behind - and still slow):
http://modus.thepulse.net

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this problem.

First time an aspx page is loaded it needs to be compiled and cached on
the server which takes time. I think if you use Visual Studio you can
precompile aspx pages.

Vito DeCarlo

Martin,

Thank you for responding, although I'm aware of the delay that occurs while
pages compile - this is a different issue.

It seems to have been working fine today - all I did was uninstall an
antivirus program (and restarted) the domain controller on the network. I
highly doubt that corrected the issue.

If anyone else has any ideas, I'm more than willing to hear them! We'll
see - maybe the problem went away.

Vito DeCarlo

Jeff

I've heard of occasions where the AV program will cause this problem. What
appears to be behind it is the AV program marking the file in some way that
makes ASP.NET believe that the file has changed. This causes the file to be
recompiled. And every recopy causes an access which causes the AV to mark
the file and on and on.

You might want to reinstall the AV program but exclude your ASP.NET web site
and the ASP.NET background fiel sight from the scanning just to see what
happens.

Jeff

Vito DeCarlo

I'm sorry - I'm not quite understanding your solution. What is the "AV
program"?

-Vito