ASP.NET Response Delay - Slow

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Vito DeCarlo, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. Vito DeCarlo

    Vito DeCarlo Guest

    Over the past week, I've been noticing that any websites (on this one
    particular web server) built with ASP.NET have unusually slow (5 second)
    response times when moving through the site. There are times when the
    delays dissappear, but they are existent 80% of the time.

    This has only started up over the past week or so and I have checked CPU
    usage, memory usage, etc. I've also reinstalled the 1.1 version of the .NET
    framework just to be safe. Does anyone have any idea what might be casuing
    this?

    Just to give you an example, here are a few sites to look at:

    ASP (works fine): http://www.UticaFire.com
    ASP.NET (slow): http://www.ThePulse.com
    ASP.NET (slow): http://www.CeilingDesigns.com
    ASP.NET (absolutely no code behind - and still slow):
    http://modus.thepulse.net

    Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this problem.

    Vito DeCarlo
    The Pulse Internet Services, Inc.

    Vito DeCarlo, Nov 30, 2003

  2. Vito DeCarlo wrote:

    > Over the past week, I've been noticing that any websites (on this one
    > particular web server) built with ASP.NET have unusually slow (5 second)
    > response times when moving through the site. There are times when the
    > delays dissappear, but they are existent 80% of the time.
    >
    > This has only started up over the past week or so and I have checked CPU
    > usage, memory usage, etc. I've also reinstalled the 1.1 version of the .NET
    > framework just to be safe. Does anyone have any idea what might be casuing
    > this?
    >
    > Just to give you an example, here are a few sites to look at:
    >
    > ASP (works fine): http://www.UticaFire.com
    > ASP.NET (slow): http://www.ThePulse.com
    > ASP.NET (slow): http://www.CeilingDesigns.com
    > ASP.NET (absolutely no code behind - and still slow):
    > http://modus.thepulse.net
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this problem.

    First time an aspx page is loaded it needs to be compiled and cached on
    the server which takes time. I think if you use Visual Studio you can
    precompile aspx pages.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Nov 30, 2003

  3. Vito DeCarlo

    Vito DeCarlo Guest

    Martin,

    Thank you for responding, although I'm aware of the delay that occurs while
    pages compile - this is a different issue.

    It seems to have been working fine today - all I did was uninstall an
    antivirus program (and restarted) the domain controller on the network. I
    highly doubt that corrected the issue.

    If anyone else has any ideas, I'm more than willing to hear them! We'll
    see - maybe the problem went away.

    Vito DeCarlo

    Vito DeCarlo, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Vito DeCarlo

    Jeff Guest

    I've heard of occasions where the AV program will cause this problem. What
    appears to be behind it is the AV program marking the file in some way that
    makes ASP.NET believe that the file has changed. This causes the file to be
    recompiled. And every recopy causes an access which causes the AV to mark
    the file and on and on.

    You might want to reinstall the AV program but exclude your ASP.NET web site
    and the ASP.NET background fiel sight from the scanning just to see what
    happens.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Dec 1, 2003
  5. Vito DeCarlo

    Vito DeCarlo Guest

    I'm sorry - I'm not quite understanding your solution. What is the "AV
    program"?

    -Vito

    Vito DeCarlo, Dec 3, 2003