ASP.NET Restart Problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?YW1kaXNoaWdo?=, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. We are experiencing the following problems concerning ASP.NET: our
    ASP.NET application, written in .NET 1.1 platform, and hosted in IIS 5.0
    environment, experience frequent session timeout problem. After tracing, we
    find that it should be caused by "ASP.NET Application Restart" (proved by
    incremented counter for "Application Restarts" of "ASP.NET 1.1.4322" in
    "Performance" whenever the timeout happens).

    From MSDN documentation, we find that the possible reasons are:
    - changes in web.config or machine.config
    - changes in files in \bin folder
    - new folder under web application folder
    - changes of files under web application folder
    Besides, MS KB also tells us of the possible effect of anti-virus
    product. However, we have eliminated the above factors (no files added /
    modified, anti-virus product shut down), and the problem remains.

    So, we want to ask for the following:
    1. We want to know the exact / detailed reason why asp.net application
    would restart (e.g. if caused by files changes, which file? what application
    changes that file?), is there any place / log file we can find for that?
    2. is there any reason behinds those listed above that would cause the
    restart?
    3. Any method to turn off the ASP.NET restart function
    4. If it is turned off, what will be the side effect

    The following is more details of the OS environment:
    - Windows Server 2000 Sp4 (Eng.)
    - .NET 1.1 (no hotfix applied explicitly unless downloaded through windows
    update)
    - IIS 5.0 (no hotfix applied explicitly unless downloaded through windows
    update)
    =?Utf-8?B?YW1kaXNoaWdo?=, Jul 6, 2004

  2. have a look at your application log on the webserver. it lists the reason
    for the asp.net process restart.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Jul 6, 2004

  3. Hi Alvin,

    Thank you for your reply. But what source should we look at? Is it "ASP.NET [Version No]" (our version no is 1.1.4322.0)? Our problem - ASP.NET AppDomain Restart - does not make a new entry there of this source. Should we configure any switch to turn this logging on?

    Regards,
    Patrick

    =?Utf-8?B?YW1kaXNoaWdo?=, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Hi Patrick,

    As for the asp.net application restart problem. Yes, the reasons you listed
    in the first message covered almost all the general causes. In addition,
    you may also have a look at the <processModel> setting in the
    machine.config file and the this element has some certain attributes for
    example, the
    1. responseDeadlockInterval attribute which specifies the time interval,
    in standard process model format (hr:min:sec), after which the process will
    be restarted if the following conditions are met:
    a.There are queued requests.
    b.There has not been a response during this interval. The default is 3
    minutes.

    2.memoryLimit attribute which specifies the maximum allowed memory size,
    as a percentage of total system memory, that the worker process can consume
    before ASP.NET launches a new process and reassigns existing requests. The
    default is 60 percent. If the application's memeory use exceed this
    limitation, the application will also restart.

    #<processModel> Element
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/gngrfProcessmodelSecti
    on.asp?frame=true

    In addition, generally such application restart behavior may have some logs
    info in the Server's EventViewers. You can have a further check in the
    Application node of the EventViewer to see whether it can provide any
    clues. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jul 6, 2004
  5. Hi Steven,

    Thx for your reply. Concerning the "processModel" setting, is this controlling the "worker process" restart and/or application restart? From my understanding, it would lead to worker process start but not application restart; and my monitoring shows we are experiencing session timeout coz of application restart.

    For the "application log" in event log, what source should we monitor for? Is it "ASP.NET [version]"? Searching for this yields not much result; the only entries we found are "asp.net unexpectedly ended" that appear when aspnet_wp.exe is killed in task manager. If that's not the correct source, what else should we look at? We are getting quite many / frequent new entries in application log so it would be quite difficult to locate the exact entries should the source not known.

    Thank in advance!

    =?Utf-8?B?YW1kaXNoaWdo?=, Jul 6, 2004
  6. Hi Patrick,

    Thanks for your followup. Yes, the <processModel> limitations I mentioned
    is concerned with asp.net process's recycle issue. Since you mentioned that
    your application only restart the application domain, yes? How do you find
    this behavior? Just by noticing that the sessionstates are lost?
    I think you can try adding some codes in the Global object's
    Application_Start event and write a log file to see whether the application
    is really random restarted and also the Server.GetLastError api may help
    provide some info on whether there is any error at that time.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jul 7, 2004
  7. Hi Patrick,

    Since you found that the "Application Restart" counter increase in your
    performance monitor, how much is its top value? Also, are there many other
    asp.net web applications running on this machine? The "Application Resart"
    counter may log all the applications on the server's restart event.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jul 8, 2004
  8. Hi Steven,

    The server host two ASP.NET application; and two of them exhibit the same session timeout problem. And the counter value would keep incrementing until the server is rebooted. The top value we have noticed of is around 80 times. One more thing worth to mention is that the "worker process restart" is always very low (always 0; seldom incresed to 2 -3); so i think we can eliminate the chance that the session timeout is actually caused by worker process restart but mistakenly thought as caused by application restart?

    Regards,
    Patrick

    =?Utf-8?B?YW1kaXNoaWdo?=, Jul 8, 2004
  9. Hi Patrick,

    Thanks for your reply. Then, are there any unhandled exceptions occur in
    the applicatoin? As far as I know ,when there is unhandled exception occur
    in application, the current session will also ended and a new one start.
    In addition, does the problem occur when you're visiting some particular
    pages in the application? Or is that any particular operations in the web
    application which is possbile to cause the restart?

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jul 9, 2004
  10. Hi Steven,

    What type of "unhandled exception" would trigger this? We've experienced some type of unhandled exception in our application that would cause the notorious yellow error page (showing the details what errors occured and where) to appear. Is there some other more serious exception that would trigger the application to restart? And, in that case, is there any exception handler that can be defined on the application, like in global.asax, that can capture such unhandled exception? Thank you very much!

    Regards,
    Patrick

    =?Utf-8?B?YW1kaXNoaWdo?=, Jul 9, 2004
  11. Hi Steven,

    Besides, do you mean that the lost session maybe due to unhandled exception but not because of application restart? If that's the case, can you provide some clues to me on how to toruble-shoot those application restart (that we've recorded happened 80 times in maximum in one machine session)? Thanks!

    Regards,
    Patrick

    =?Utf-8?B?YW1kaXNoaWdo?=, Jul 9, 2004
  12. Hi Patrick,

    Thanks for your followup. I think we've got the most important point, as
    you mentioned in the last reply that
    =====================
    We've experienced some type of unhandled exception in our application that
    would cause the notorious yellow error page (showing the details what
    errors occured and where) to appear.Is there some other more serious
    exception that would trigger the application to restart?
    =====================

    No any serious unhandled exception will surely cause application to
    restart. But as far as I know, when the unhandled exception occur, if you
    don't manually handle it in Application_Error event and process it. The
    current context's SessionState will be ended and a new one is started. I
    think you can have trace on the session. For example turn on the Trace and
    watch the SessionID before and after an unhandled exception occurs(the
    yellow error page ), you may found the sessionId be changed.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jul 10, 2004
  13. Hi Steven,

    We are currently coding the corresponding error handler according to your suggestion; and would report back the progress later. Thx for your help!

    Regards,
    Patrick

    =?Utf-8?B?YW1kaXNoaWdo?=, Jul 13, 2004
  14. Hi Patrick,

    Thanks for your followup. Well, I'll hold on this issue and wait for your
    good news:). Also, if you have any other findings, please feel free to
    post here.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jul 14, 2004
  15. Hi Steven,

    After implementating the error handler as your suggestion, we've get the
    following logging:

    14/8/2004 12:23:41 :
    Source: System.Web
    Message: Exception of type System.Web.HttpUnhandledException was thrown.
    Stack Trace:
    at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
    at
    System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
    completedSynchronously)
    Method Name: HandleError
    HelpLink:
    Inner Exception Source: qcmebnjq
    Inner Exception Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an
    object.
    Inner Method Name: __Render__control1
    Inner Exception HelpLink:
    Base Exception Source: qcmebnjq
    Base Exception Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Base Exception HelpLink:

    14/8/2004 12:35:52 :
    Source: System.Web
    Message: Exception of type System.Web.HttpUnhandledException was thrown.
    Stack Trace:
    at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
    at
    System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
    completedSynchronously)
    Method Name: HandleError
    HelpLink:
    Inner Exception Source: System.Web
    Inner Exception Message: Maximum request length exceeded.
    Inner Method Name: GetEntireRawContent
    Inner Exception HelpLink:
    Base Exception Source: System.Web
    Base Exception Message: Maximum request length exceeded.
    Base Exception HelpLink:

    For the coding of the error handler, please refer to appendix.

    The "Session Timeout" problem has occured numerious time, but there is
    only one exception logged above (actually we don't know if the first
    exception is related to session timeout problem). The second exception is
    logged when the documents to be uploaded is larger than the asp.net limit.

    Another observation we've got is that the Session Timout problem occurs
    more frequently when there is more people using our application. When only 1
    - 2 people using our application, the problem occurs rarely. But when more
    than 5 people using the system, it would take just a few minutes to have the
    problem reproduced.

    Regards,
    Patrick

    Appendix:
    protected void Application_Error(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    // Logging the session
    string REGKEYPATH="Software\\Vitova\\VitalDoc\\4.0";
    RegistryKey
    _appRegHandle=Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(REGKEYPATH,false);
    object obj=null;
    string AppErrLog ="0";

    System.IO.StreamWriter sessionLog=null;
    string ErrMsg="";

    if (_appRegHandle != null)
    {
    obj=_appRegHandle.GetValue("AppErrLog");

    if (obj != null)
    {
    AppErrLog = obj.ToString();

    if (AppErrLog == "1")
    {
    sessionLog=new System.IO.StreamWriter("C:\\AppErrLog.log",true);

    ErrMsg = System.DateTime.Now.ToString() + " : " +
    GetErrLogStr(Server.GetLastError());
    //ErrMsg += "Message: " + Server.GetLastError().Message;
    //ErrMsg += Server.GetLastError().HelpLink;
    sessionLog.WriteLine(ErrMsg);
    sessionLog.Close();
    sessionLog=null;

    public static string GetErrLogStr(System.Exception e)
    {
    string ret = "";
    ret += System.Environment.NewLine;
    ret += "\tSource: " + e.Source;
    ret += System.Environment.NewLine;
    ret += "\tMessage: " + e.Message;
    ret += System.Environment.NewLine;
    ret += "\tStack Trace: \n" + e.StackTrace;
    ret += System.Environment.NewLine;
    if (e.TargetSite != null)
    {
    ret += "\tMethod Name: " + e.TargetSite.Name;
    ret += System.Environment.NewLine;
    }
    ret += "\tHelpLink: " + e.HelpLink;
    ret += System.Environment.NewLine;
    if (e.InnerException != null)
    {
    ret += "\tInner Exception Source: " + e.InnerException.Source;
    ret += System.Environment.NewLine;
    ret += "\tInner Exception Message: " + e.InnerException.Message;
    ret += System.Environment.NewLine;
    if (e.InnerException.TargetSite != null)
    {
    ret += "\tInner Method Name: " + e.InnerException.TargetSite.Name;
    ret += System.Environment.NewLine;
    }
    ret += "\tInner Exception HelpLink: " + e.InnerException.HelpLink;
    ret += System.Environment.NewLine;
    }
    ret += "\tBase Exception Source: " + e.GetBaseException().Source;
    ret += System.Environment.NewLine;
    ret += "\tBase Exception Message: " + e.GetBaseException().Message;
    ret += System.Environment.NewLine;
    ret += "\tBase Exception HelpLink: " + e.GetBaseException().HelpLink;
    ret += System.Environment.NewLine;

    return ret;
    }

    =?Utf-8?B?YW1kaXNoaWdo?=, Aug 17, 2004
  16. Hi Patrick,

    Thanks for the followup. As you mentioned that
    =======================
    The "Session Timeout" problem has occured numerious time, but there is
    only one exception logged abov
    =======================
    Then, I think you can also add some logging code in the Global object's
    Session_Start and Session_End event (or even the Application_Start/End)to
    see whether the occurence rate is match. Also, since the problem occur more
    frequently when the visited user increase, are there any code in the
    application that has strong concerns on concurrency?

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 18, 2004
  17. Hi Steven,

    I would let you know the result when the testing is done. Besides, as far
    as i know, there should be no concerns on concurrency on our code. But is
    there any better way to diagnose / locate concurrency-related problem in our
    code?

    Regards,
    Patrick
    P.S. I know that there is a SP for .NET 1.1 under beta status, would you
    think applying it would help to fix our problem? Thx.

    =?Utf-8?B?YW1kaXNoaWdo?=, Aug 19, 2004
  18. Hi Patrick,

    Thanks for the reply. As for the concurrency issue, there hasn't any
    thorough troubleshooting means. Generally, we should take care of those
    particular resource management code in our application such as
    db manipluate, file manipulation or using any components. For example,
    serverside automation may often cause concurrency issue.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 19, 2004
  19. Hi Patrick,

    Have you got any progress on this issue? As for the SP for .net
    framework1.1 you mentioned, since it's under beta, I'm not sure whether
    it'll work for this issue. Thanks.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 25, 2004