ASP.NET Restart Problem

Guest

We are experiencing the following problems concerning ASP.NET: our
ASP.NET application, written in .NET 1.1 platform, and hosted in IIS 5.0
environment, experience frequent session timeout problem. After tracing, we
find that it should be caused by "ASP.NET Application Restart" (proved by
incremented counter for "Application Restarts" of "ASP.NET 1.1.4322" in
"Performance" whenever the timeout happens).

From MSDN documentation, we find that the possible reasons are:
- changes in web.config or machine.config
- changes in files in \bin folder
- new folder under web application folder
- changes of files under web application folder
Besides, MS KB also tells us of the possible effect of anti-virus
product. However, we have eliminated the above factors (no files added /
modified, anti-virus product shut down), and the problem remains.

So, we want to ask for the following:
1. We want to know the exact / detailed reason why asp.net application
would restart (e.g. if caused by files changes, which file? what application
changes that file?), is there any place / log file we can find for that?
2. is there any reason behinds those listed above that would cause the
restart?
3. Any method to turn off the ASP.NET restart function
4. If it is turned off, what will be the side effect

The following is more details of the OS environment:
- Windows Server 2000 Sp4 (Eng.)
- .NET 1.1 (no hotfix applied explicitly unless downloaded through windows
update)
- IIS 5.0 (no hotfix applied explicitly unless downloaded through windows
update)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Patrick,

I'm viewing this post and find that this is a duplicated one with another
thread with the same titile in this group. I've posted my reply in that one
and I'd appreciate if you have a look. In addition, if you feel it
convenient that we continue to discuss in that thread, please feel free to
post there. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support