ASP.Net ROI - requesting advice from the experts

littleccguy

I have an idea for a proposal to my ops manager. Right now we have
several little Access databases for several purposes. Many of these
pull from our MS SQL server. My idea is to make one program (Solution)
that can be used company wide. I would rework these databases using
XML and ASP.net. I need to show him the short and long term benefits.
A good example would be that part of our company uses Macs. (They
actually acquired us, but we will be working the integration.) If we
use ASP.Net, the Mac users can easily access and use the application.
Sure we can install Office for Mac if they don't already have it, but
sometimes the data pull on the Access files are so big Access becomes
corrupt and we are restoring backups.

This would be an awesome opportunity for me to develop my skills and
have a deeper understanding of the company processes as well.
Hopefully, this will increase my value to the company.

Give my your pro and cons (bullet point format would be cool).

I'm calling on the experts. Let me know if this is a good idea, or if
I'm recreating the wheel for my own benefit.

Be well

Guest

Do you have IIS (preferably on a server) with the framework? In my
experience nothing works as well as a demo proof-of-concept - picture worth
more than 1k words, shows initiative, etc. Got me my job in web development.

Tasos Vogiatzoglou

By using ASP.NET :

1) You have central deployment. Easy updates/easy managements etc
2) You can extend the application easily in both funcationality and
size
3) A finer development model that (if used properly) minimize bugs and
promote reusability
4) In the future you have a lot more possibilities for interoperability
5) It's cool :p
6) Access files can be kept (pointing to a SQL Server) but I believe
that users will want to migrate
7) Your manager will surely take benefit :)

BUT!!!

You are redeveloping something ... so you will have:
1) To test
2) To debug
3) To deal with feature requests
4) A period of baby-feeding users ...