Asp.net RSA Machine level encryption.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Derek, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. Derek

    Derek Guest

    I'm trying to setup encryption using machine level RSA for a web farm and
    having issues. I followed the instructions on MSDN article but when I import
    run app on another machine the error I get the following error

    Failed to decrypt using provider 'RsaProtectedConfigurationProvider'. Error
    message from the provider: Bad Data.

    Most of my searching seemed to point to ACLS on key but I dont think this is
    the case as I can take a unecrypted web.config and encrypt and run on each of
    the machines with no issues but if I take a encrypted config from machine A
    and run on machine B I get the error above.

    Also I going from a Windows 2003 to Windows 2000 Server box. I granted
    permissions to NT Authority\Network Service on 2k3 box and ASPNET on 2K box.

    Here's unecrypted config snippet

    <configProtectedData>
    <providers>
    <add keyContainerName="MyKeys" useMachineContainer="true"
    description="Uses RsaCryptoServiceProvider to encrypt and decrypt"
    name="CustomProvider"
    type="System.Configuration.RsaProtectedConfigurationProvider,System.Configuration, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
    </providers>
    </configProtectedData>
    <connectionStrings>
    <add name="Test"
    connectionString="Database=testdbname;Server=TestServerName;User=myuserid;Passwor=mypassword;"
    providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    </connectionStrings>

    Derek, Sep 5, 2006