ASP.Net security after SP4 on W2k Server

Mathew

Hello:

I have an app that has been running for several months, but
after installing SP4 on the Win2k server, it would no
longer run.

First I had a TemplateControl parser exception when the
server tried to compile and run the ASPX page. (Which runs
fine on my workstation).

After stripping out everything from the page except the
line linking to the code behind, I was able to run again.

However, when I try to call a function in the page (by
passing an url parameter) that uses a SQL Server database,
I get some kind of security exception:

[InvalidOperationException: Computer name could not be
obtained.]
System.Environment.get_MachineName() +155
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString.MachineName() +167

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString.WorkStationId() +27

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString.CheckSetNetwork()
+124

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString.ValidateParse() +683
System.Data.Common.DBConnectionString..ctor(String
connectionString, UdlSupport checkForUdl) +144
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString..ctor(String
connectionString) +13

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString.ParseString(String
connectionString) +96

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.set_ConnectionString(String
value) +11
CIS.Data.Connection.set_ConnectionString(String Value)
CIS.Data.Connection..ctor(String connectString)
CIS.Data.Database..ctor(Object connectionstring)
webtrack.frmProTrack.DoLogin()
webtrack.frmProTrack.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework
Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

How do I change the security to make this work again? I
have the ASP.Net process impersonating a network login with
access to see the SQL Server machine, and login to SQL Server.

Thanks,
Mat

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Mathew,

Does the process account (ASPNET by default) have the
SeImpersonatePrivilege (Impersontate a client after authentication) user
right? If not, you'll need to give it that right.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
From: "Mathew" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Mathew" <[email protected]>
Subject: ASP.Net security after SP4 on W2k Server
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:57:33 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework
Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573
How do I change the security to make this work again? I
have the ASP.Net process impersonating a network login with
access to see the SQL Server machine, and login to SQL Server.
Thanks,
Mat

Guest

I was able to fix this by taking your advice.
In the domain controller, under the default policy, add
the desired users to the Enable Impersonatation setting.

This is probably why I wasn't able to compile before as
well.

From: "Mathew" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Mathew" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:57:33 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

-------------------
-----
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework
Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573
How do I change the security to make this work again? I
have the ASP.Net process impersonating a network login with
access to see the SQL Server machine, and login to SQL Server.
Thanks,
Mat

.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]