ASP.NET Security/Authentication question

Terry

I am a newbie on ASP.NET.
I am creating an asp.net application (with C#) which will have a number of
screens.
The backend database for this app is SQL Server.
The user is required to login and we have to be able to control which users
have access to which screens and if they have read only or update access.

I have just started reading about the different types of authentication for
asp.net.
Can anyone provide me with some direction as the best way to proceed.

Terry

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Terry,

at first - ask yourself the following question: will my users be stored as
Windows accounts (AD or SAM) - or will they be stored in a custom store (e.g.
SQL Server)

if Windows - set <authentication mode="Windows" /> and make yourself familiar
with IIS authentication types
if Customer - set <authentication mode="Forms" /> and make yourself familiar
with Forms Authentication

Terry

If I use IIS authentication, can I control which users have access to which
forms and if they have read or full access?

Terry