ASP.Net server too busy on Windows 2003/IIS6

Raymond

Dear all,

We ran into very strange situation recently with our
ASP.Net applications running on Windows 2003 servers.

After running for a couple of days, the .Net application
begin to reject request and the client saw "Server too
busy" exception in .Net. There was no error recorded in
application/system event log, and the .Net application
performance counter [Request in Application Queue] reach
100 (which is the default in machine.config), and the
w3wp process eat 0% CPU utilization (with so many
executing/queued requests).

We just leave the server untouched since error occurred
and like to see what will happen. After about 30-60
minutes, the w3wp process begin to eat CPU utilization,
and the queued requests begin to drop, and finally it
back to normal.

My expectation was to see "deadlock" in event log due to
resources contention, but it didn't happen. Also, the
w3wp worker process didn't recycle itself as expected,
and the ping seems not working. The most strange thing is
the only error we found was [Connection_Dropped] in
HTTPERR log file.

Does anyone have the same experience? How do you
troubleshoot such issue with so little log information?
Any suggestion or work around will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Raymond

ashelley

Hello,

To me this sounds like something you should talk to microsoft with.
In my experience, windows 2003 isn't the best platform. If you can
try to use a 2000 server: it is far more stable and mature.

-Adam

bruce barker

"Server too busy" is an IIS message. IIS supports a max number of concurrent
conections (default about 100, max about 200). when all the connections are
in use, it gives this error. you should add instrumentaion to your app to
log its activity and detect contention points.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

jaya j

Where you able to locate the problem? I am encountering a similar
problem. Kindly help