ASP NET service error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by JLuis Estrada, Jun 6, 2006.

  1. Hi there
    Its my 1st post in this group and I hope we could have a great time.

    well, this is my problem

    I was debbuging my app (a website) and the system get stuck and I had to
    reboot the system.
    Since that day, everytime I tried to open the VS2003 and run my app, the
    system showed me a message like:

    Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running
    ASP.NET version 1.1

    I know when this msg appear i need to do this:

    aspnet_regiis -i

    to reinstall de service.

    But it does not work.

    Last nite I uninstall the IIS, the Framework 1.1 and the VS2003 and instaled
    in that order. But it doesnt work either.

    I know that the problem is the ASP NET service because the IIS works fine,
    the service is running fine, as the ASP NET service. In the IIS
    administrator , the virtual folder is already created and seems to work
    perfectly, but when I tryed to view the page in tue IE in the normal way:
    http://localhost/app, but then appear the html error 404.

    I thing that there is another service or another kind of configuration that
    works besides the ASPNET service.

    Do you have clue or idea about it. Ill appreciate all your help.

    Regards
    JLuis

    JLuis Estrada, Jun 6, 2006

  2. JLuis Estrada

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    Define "does not work". What directory are you running this utility?

    Jeff Dillon, Jun 6, 2006

  3. for me, "does not work" or "doesnt work" means that the ASP NET service isnt
    working correctly, in fact, isnt working at all.
    It seems to work all right, and I know that because the IIS manager seems to
    work fine, and its running normally. But when I try to view my weppage,
    appears the html error 404.

    Did I explained it clearly?

    JLuis Estrada, Jun 6, 2006
  4. JLuis Estrada wrote:
    > for me, "does not work" or "doesnt work" means that the ASP NET
    > service isnt working correctly, in fact, isnt working at all.

    Doesn't help. What are the symptoms?

    > It seems to work all right, and I know that because the IIS manager
    > seems to work fine, and its running normally. But when I try to view
    > my weppage, appears the html error 404.

    Ah! Here is what Jeff was after: a description of the symptom. ... I
    think.
    Is it still the "...specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version
    1.1" message that you originally described?

    If so, do any of these links help?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...eb server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1"

    > "Jeff Dillon" <> wrote in message
    >> Define "does not work". What directory are you running this utility?
    >>
    >> I know when this msg appear i need to do this: aspnet_regiis -i to
    >> reinstall de service. But it does not work.
    >>
    >> "JLuis Estrada" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi there
    >>> Its my 1st post in this group and I hope we could have a great time.
    >>>
    >>> well, this is my problem
    >>>
    >>> I was debbuging my app (a website) and the system get stuck and I
    >>> had to reboot the system.
    >>> Since that day, everytime I tried to open the VS2003 and run my
    >>> app, the system showed me a message like:
    >>>
    >>> Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not
    >>> running ASP.NET version 1.1
    >>>
    >>> I know when this msg appear i need to do this:
    >>>
    >>> aspnet_regiis -i
    >>>
    >>> to reinstall de service.
    >>>
    >>> But it does not work.
    >>>
    >>> Last nite I uninstall the IIS, the Framework 1.1 and the VS2003 and
    >>> instaled in that order. But it doesnt work either.
    >>>
    >>> I know that the problem is the ASP NET service because the IIS works
    >>> fine, the service is running fine, as the ASP NET service. In the
    >>> IIS administrator , the virtual folder is already created and seems
    >>> to work perfectly, but when I tryed to view the page in tue IE in
    >>> the normal way: http://localhost/app, but then appear the html
    >>> error 404.
    >>>
    >>> I thing that there is another service or another kind of
    >>> configuration that works besides the ASPNET service.
    >>>
    >>> Do you have clue or idea about it. Ill appreciate all your help.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> JLuis

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 6, 2006
  5. Hi there

    In fact, I already made that search on saint google (hehehe) and dont helped
    me that much, you know.

    All the pages try to solve it with anyone of this 2 solutions:

    1.- Do a aspnet_regiis -1
    2.- Uninstall and reinstall the framework

    I executed both solutions and no-one worked for me.

    Maybe my windows is damaged (or some dll needed for the ASPNET service) but
    I dont know how to solved.

    any clues?

    JLuis Estrada, Jun 6, 2006
  6. One of the links was this one:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555132
    which linked to this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825792

    Both of these describe other solutions besides the ones you mention. Do
    either of these help?

    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 6, 2006
  7. :( I already tryed that solutions and none of the worked out.

    My pc is just for development, so, i dont need an IP, (I use localhost)

    and the issue described with the number 4 (4. Web Server specified by
    ASP.NET Web Project/Web Service Project cannot be found.). The fact is that
    the ASPNET service is not working correctly, not the references in the
    project file.

    And about the get_aspx_ver.aspx file, I tried it too and dosnt work :(

    I guess is voodoo stuff!!!!

    JLuis Estrada, Jun 6, 2006
  8. JLuis Estrada

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    404 is Page Not Found.

    Find it

    Jeff Dillon, Jun 6, 2006
  9. Is there anything else you have tried that you haven't told us about?
    I've already wasted enough time searching for and posting solutions that
    you have already tried.

    For example, have you tried looking at the ISAPI mappings in the
    Application Configuration dialog for your website as described in this
    blog entry?
    http://jonybr.blogspot.com/2005/12/iis-is-not-running-aspnet-version-11.html

    Did you try running aspnet_regiis -r in addition to aspnet_regiis -i?
    Did you use the Visual Studio Command Prompt to run them?

    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 6, 2006
  10. yes, I did all that too.

    Believe me, If I came asking help with you is because I didnt find any
    helpfull solution

    JLuis Estrada, Jun 6, 2006
  11. re:
    > 1.- Do a aspnet_regiis -1

    Try :

    aspnet_regiis -i

    You must run that command from the
    Drive:\%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
    directory

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 6, 2006