ASP.NET service providers using Samba+Unix

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Neil Zanella, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. Neil Zanella

    Neil Zanella Guest

    Hello,

    I wonder whether anyone knows of any service providers which issue shell
    access for file upload (as in Unix ssh service), and at the same time allow
    users to serve ASP.NET files (via mounting the Unix drive on a Windows Server
    with Samba and having such file configured as a virtual IIS directory).
    I would be interested in any service providers which offer such a
    service as I could have all the benefits of a Unix shell while
    developing ASP.NET (i.e. I could even develop ASP.NET pages
    from within Linux without much hassle if I could find such
    a service provider, or I could simply do it myself I suppose.)

    Anyways, if anyone knows of such a service
    I would be glad to know about it,

    Thanks,

    Neil

    Neil Zanella, Jan 5, 2005

  2. We have tried this before, and it turned out to be a really unreliable
    approach to keeping the site online 24x7. However, if you hear of someone
    doing this successfully, please do tell.

    Brandon

    Brandon Potter, Jan 5, 2005

  3. Neil Zanella

    Guest

    I have seen Samba used although not for this purpose, and it seemed to
    work just fine.

    I would like to know what was so unreliable about using
    Samba for deploying ASP.NET applications developed
    from within Linux.

    Regards,

    Neil

    , Jan 5, 2005
  4. When we used Samba as a cheap file share on a peer to peer network it was
    fine for desktop users. However, trying to keep an authenticated connection
    to Samba proved to be darn near impossible with maintenance, hotfixes
    requiring restarts, multiple people using the server, and had some initial
    authentication issues trying to get IIS to play nicely.

    The main pain was keeping that network connection authenticated and happy
    and we opted that NTFS was a much more reliable way to go to make sure the
    site was up whenever the server was.

    Brandon

    Brandon Potter, Jan 6, 2005