ASP.NET ServiceName?

Laser Lu

Hi,
Does anyone know whether the ASP.NET process is running as a
WindowsService? If it is, then what's the ServiceName?
Thanks for any replies:)

Josh Twist

The ASP.NET process is started by IIS on demand so it doesn't have a
service name (IIS does though and that's called "World Wide Web
Publishing").

The ASP.NET process is called aspnet_wp.exe or w3wp.exe on 2003 server.

Josh
http://www.thejoyofcode.com/

Laser Lu

Josh, thank you very much!
Another question is : is it possible to run the asp.net process in the
UserInteractive mode? I tried to turn on the "Allow service to interact with
desktop" switch for the World Wide Web Publishing service, but it doesn't
work for the asp.net process.
Because I wanna show some windows forms on the server side for the purpose
of capturing and displaying some application monitoring messages. As you
know, windows forms can display realtime messages much more easily than web
pages. :)

Laser Lu

Josh, thank you very much!
Another question is : is it possible to run the asp.net process in the
UserInteractive mode? I tried to turn on the "Allow service to interact with
desktop" switch for the World Wide Web Publishing service, but it doesn't
work for the asp.net process.
Because I wanna show some windows forms on the server side for the purpose
of capturing and displaying some application monitoring messages. As you
know, windows forms can display realtime messages much more easily than web
pages. :)

Laser Lu

Oh, yeah!! Pretty cool!! Thank you, you really helped me:)
Thanks for the cute utility!

John Timney \( MVP \)

Why dont you just write the messages to a log, and invoke an application on
the server that reads from the log.

Laser Lu

The exact purpose I want to achieve is the functionality like the Output
window in the VS.NET, which can capture monitoring message immediately once
it happens. Realtime responding is important to me:)

John Timney \( MVP \)

Then create s coekt listeneer in your application, and report via a socket
connection to the listener, it will be about as instant as it can be.