ASP.NET Session variable limits

Mike Grishaber

Hello All,

I am looking into using the Session object is ASP.NET to store state
information. Does anyone know if there is a reccommended upper limit as to
how much data you should store in the session state? I'm using the Session
State in the In Process mode.

Thanks to all!

Mike

Anon-E-Moose

I am looking into using the Session object is ASP.NET to store state
information. Does anyone know if there is a reccommended upper limit
as to how much data you should store in the session state? I'm using
the Session State in the In Process mode.

I don't think there is a limit ... The limit is based on the amount of
memory you have.

Scott Allen

It really depends on your application and how many concurrent users
you need to support. If you only need to support 5 users, you might
be able to keep 20MBs of DataSet objects around for each user by
keeping references to the objects in the Session collection. If you
did this for 100 users you could cripple the server. As Einstein once
said, it's all relative :)

The general rule of thumb is "as little as possible"