    between Silverlight and Blend.

    Thanks a lot,
    Vinnie

    Vinnie, Sep 29, 2007

  2. On Sep 29, 4:37 pm, Vinnie <> wrote:
    > Hi young folk, and i'm learning to work with ASP.net and yesterday I
    > was talking to a friend in regards a good book to buy for learning
    > CSS. With surprise he told me that Microsoft has released the Flash
    > competitor that integrates perfectly with ASP.Net, called
    > Silverlight.
    >
    > Surfing for Silverlight on the Microsoft websiate, i found also
    > Microsoft Blend Express: now, since i'm kind of confused, i was
    > wondering if someone could give an indication of the difference
    > between Silverlight and Blend.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    > Vinnie

    The difference is the same as the one between Adobe Photoshop and
    Adobe Flash. Microsoft® Expression Blend™ is the professional design
    tool used to create engaging Web-connected experiences for Windows.
    Silverlight is a cross-browser, cross-platform plug-in for delivering
    the next generation of media experiences and rich interactive
    applications.

    Alexey Smirnov, Sep 29, 2007

  3. Vinnie

    Just Me Guest

    Take a look at this, download the demo and watch it, its quite illuminating.

    http://silverlight.net/getstarted/

    I had no Idea these two products were around, they are going to take the
    market by storm in my opinion.

    "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message
    On Sep 29, 4:37 pm, Vinnie <> wrote:
    > Hi young folk, and i'm learning to work with ASP.net and yesterday I
    > was talking to a friend in regards a good book to buy for learning
    > CSS. With surprise he told me that Microsoft has released the Flash
    > competitor that integrates perfectly with ASP.Net, called
    > Silverlight.
    >
    > Surfing for Silverlight on the Microsoft websiate, i found also
    > Microsoft Blend Express: now, since i'm kind of confused, i was
    > wondering if someone could give an indication of the difference
    > between Silverlight and Blend.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    > Vinnie

    The difference is the same as the one between Adobe Photoshop and
    Adobe Flash. Microsoft® Expression BlendT is the professional design

    Just Me, Sep 29, 2007
  4. Vinnie

    Smithers Guest

    RANT WARNING: Re: ASP. NET (silverlight, blend... )!

    RE:
    << .. used to create engaging Web-connected experiences >>

    and

    << next generation of media experiences and rich interactive >>

    Am I supposed to go "ohhhh I get it!" I had no idea before, now it's all
    perfectly clear"

    What is any of that supposed to mean? "engaging experiences" "next
    generation"... "rich interactive"

    All of those completely vague descriptors can be used in reference to plain
    old HTML pages styled with plain old css. A humble hyperlink can be
    described as "interactive" - hook it up to a sexy .gif and the plain old
    hyperlink can now be described as "rich interactive" or "engaging". Maybe
    not "next generation" - but then "next generation" does absolutely nothing
    to inform us what the technology actually IS or DOES.

    Sorry about the rant - you sound like all of those totally unhelpful
    "Spotlight on Silverlight" MSDN flash promos floating around. I've read them
    and still have no idea what they are talking about. I was hoping you'd be
    able to shed some light. But "engaging" ??? "rich interactive??? I still
    have no idea what these things are.

    Sheesh.

    -S

    Smithers, Sep 29, 2007
  5. "Just Me" <news.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Take a look at this, download the demo and watch it, its quite
    > illuminating.
    >
    > http://silverlight.net/getstarted/

    It's a little difficult to get beyond counting the number of times the
    presenter says "go ahead and"...

    Incredibly irritating...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Sep 29, 2007
  6. Re: RANT WARNING: Re: ASP. NET (silverlight, blend... )!

    On Sep 29, 7:07 pm, "Smithers" <> wrote:
    > RE:
    > << .. used to create engaging Web-connected experiences >>
    >
    > and
    >
    > << next generation of media experiences and rich interactive >>
    >
    > Am I supposed to go "ohhhh I get it!" I had no idea before, now it's all
    > perfectly clear"
    >
    > What is any of that supposed to mean? "engaging experiences" "next
    > generation"... "rich interactive"
    >
    > All of those completely vague descriptors can be used in reference to plain
    > old HTML pages styled with plain old css. A humble hyperlink can be
    > described as "interactive" - hook it up to a sexy .gif and the plain old
    > hyperlink can now be described as "rich interactive" or "engaging". Maybe
    > not "next generation" - but then "next generation" does absolutely nothing
    > to inform us what the technology actually IS or DOES.
    >
    > Sorry about the rant - you sound like all of those totally unhelpful
    > "Spotlight on Silverlight" MSDN flash promos floating around. I've read them
    > and still have no idea what they are talking about. I was hoping you'd be
    > able to shed some light. But "engaging" ??? "rich interactive??? I still
    > have no idea what these things are.
    >
    > Sheesh.
    >
    > -S
    >
    > "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message

    > On Sep 29, 4:37 pm, Vinnie <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi young folk, and i'm learning to work with ASP.net and yesterday I
    > > was talking to a friend in regards a good book to buy for learning
    > > CSS. With surprise he told me that Microsoft has released the Flash
    > > competitor that integrates perfectly with ASP.Net, called
    > > Silverlight.

    > > Surfing for Silverlight on the Microsoft websiate, i found also
    > > Microsoft Blend Express: now, since i'm kind of confused, i was
    > > wondering if someone could give an indication of the difference
    > > between Silverlight and Blend.

    > > Thanks a lot,
    > > Vinnie

    > The difference is the same as the one between Adobe Photoshop and
    > Adobe Flash. Microsoft® Expression BlendT is the professional design
    > tool used to create engaging Web-connected experiences for Windows.
    > Silverlight is a cross-browser, cross-platform plug-in for delivering
    > the next generation of media experiences and rich interactive
    > applications.

    It's all about marketing. Will it be more clear for you if they wrote
    "Expression Blend is the
    tool to create Silverlight. And Silverlight is a browser plug-in to
    deliver a multimedia content"?

    Alexey Smirnov, Sep 29, 2007
  7. Vinnie

    Just Me Guest

    Lol, well thats our American cousins for you.

    Just Me, Sep 29, 2007
  8. Vinnie

    Just Me Guest

    Re: RANT WARNING: Re: ASP. NET (silverlight, blend... )!

    Ha Ha Ha

    Rant, Love it !

    Instead of ranting. Why dont you take a little time to watch the demo and
    read up on it a bit more. I think that this has potential to address a
    number of issues for developers/teams. But hey, I dont work for ms, so i
    dont really give a rats if you like it or hate it, makes absolutely no
    difference to me.

    ;-D

    Just Me, Sep 29, 2007
  9. Vinnie

    Smithers Guest

    Re: RANT WARNING: Re: ASP. NET (silverlight, blend... )!

    <snip>

    > It's all about marketing.

    Yes - but as a genius marketing company (no sarcasm there - I really think
    that), I would expect Microsoft to consider *who* they are marketing TO.
    Consider the audience. When marketing to a non technical person, those fluff
    words might be effective. But marketing to a programmer, those fluff
    expressions are meaningless (at best).

    I would especially expect anybody posting in this particular NG to
    communicate in more technical terms. See my comments below:

    >Will it be more clear for you if they wrote
    > "Expression Blend is the
    > tool to create Silverlight. And Silverlight is a browser plug-in to
    > deliver a multimedia content"?

    YES! That's far more helpful.

    "X is a browser plug-in" tells us technical types more about what is going
    on - what this new technology IS - and not simply that it's "next
    generation" which tells us nothing about what, how, why or any other such
    aspect.

    With those 19 words above ("Expression Blend is the tool to...", I know *far
    more* about what silverlight is, and its relationship to Expression Blend.

    In the C# NG a couple of days some guy was claiming that Silverlight
    *replaces* CSS. Was he an idiot or was he just confused and reading into the
    marketing gloss of "rich interactive, next generation" blah blah blah
    surrounding Silverlight?

    -S

    Smithers, Sep 29, 2007
  10. Vinnie

    Smithers Guest

    Re: RANT WARNING: Re: ASP. NET (silverlight, blend... )!

    RE:
    << Why dont you take a little time to watch the demo and read up on it a bit
    more>>

    I have and I will!

    But I think it's also useful to point out how we can communicate more
    effectively - what works and, in this case, what doesn't work. Hopefully it
    will help to raise the collective intelligence - whatever that is :)

    This particular topic is in need of much more clarity than the developer
    community is getting. While many developers have heard of XAML, SilverLight,
    and Expression Blend etc, many really don't know what they are, how they
    might relate to each other, and reasons to adopt. And these things have been
    out (or at least talked about) for a long time now (at least XAML has been
    around for a couple of years).

    Part of the problem is the "next generation" "rich interative"
    "web-connected" fluff that we get. You've gotta be kidding! ---
    "Web-connected" good grief. My a$$ is "web connected" (but that's a
    different story!).

    Q: "Who is Jon Smith?" (What is Silverlight?)
    A: "He is an "engaging" young man." ("It's next generation, man!")
    Q: "Do you know anything useful about Jon Smith (Silverlight) at this
    point???
    A: No.

    -S

    Smithers, Sep 29, 2007
  11. Vinnie

    Just Me Guest

    Re: RANT WARNING: Re: ASP. NET (silverlight, blend... )!

    I think you need to work out on a punch bag for a couple of hours, then go
    out and nip off a few beers dude. You sound way to wound up !

    Just Me, Sep 29, 2007
  12. Re: RANT WARNING: Re: ASP. NET (silverlight, blend... )!

    On Sep 29, 8:23 pm, "Smithers" <> wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    > > It's all about marketing.

    > Yes - but as a genius marketing company (no sarcasm there - I really think
    > that), I would expect Microsoft to consider *who* they are marketing TO.
    > Consider the audience. When marketing to a non technical person, those fluff
    > words might be effective. But marketing to a programmer, those fluff
    > expressions are meaningless (at best).

    It's not for programmers:

    - What is Microsoft Expression?
    - Microsoft Expression is a suite of tools for professional designers
    building web and Windows client applications and rich media content.
    http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/faq.aspx?key=studio

    Alexey Smirnov, Sep 29, 2007
  13. Vinnie

    Smithers Guest

    > On Sep 29, 8:23 pm, "Smithers" <> wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> > It's all about marketing.

    >> Yes - but as a genius marketing company (no sarcasm there - I really
    >> think
    >> that), I would expect Microsoft to consider *who* they are marketing TO.
    >> Consider the audience. When marketing to a non technical person, those
    >> fluff
    >> words might be effective. But marketing to a programmer, those fluff
    >> expressions are meaningless (at best).

    > It's not for programmers:
    >
    > - What is Microsoft Expression?
    > - Microsoft Expression is a suite of tools for professional designers
    > building web and Windows client applications and rich media content.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/faq.aspx?key=studio

    Thanks for the link.

    It's chock full of the fluff I was ranting about, but weeding through that
    gets to some helpful info.

    -S

    Smithers, Sep 29, 2007
  14. Silverlight is the piece that runs to put interactive content in a browser.
    Blend is a tool for building Silverlight applications. This really comes to
    fruition when the final 1.1 bits are released later this year or early next
    year.

    Adobe's competing technology is called the Flex Framework. It still uses
    Flash as its cornerstone.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 29, 2007