ASp.Net site barely functional in Netscape Browser

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?TmVhbA==?=, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. Hi All

    I developed a site in ASP.Net 2003, which is great in IE 5.5 + but a lot of
    our users at the University use Netscape and it just don't work in Netscape.
    Hyperlinks (webform) align themselves left to right, half don't function even.

    Listboxes and Data Grids and Calendar controls... don't even render.
    ie Useless .

    Any help on this would be appreciated.

    ?How would i, in script detect the browser being used (have done it in the
    code behind page, but does'nt display in a textbox when in Netscape. (4.8 x
    or better))
    and redirect the user to a IE download or even kick IE off on their machine
    with the uRL to my site.?

    TIA

    --
    Neal Rogers
    University of Cape Town

    =?Utf-8?B?TmVhbA==?=, Jul 14, 2005

  2. A lot of browser compatabiltiy issues can be solved by having the correct
    browsercaps entries.

    Have a read of this, it explains a lot.

    Regards

    John Timney
    ASP.NET MVP
    Microsoft Regional Director

    John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\), Jul 14, 2005

  3. Read :
    http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps/

    and modify your web.config according to this code:
    http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps/browserCaps_spaces.txt

    That will allow you to detect Netscape browsers, which, in turn,
    will get assigned System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter to write HTML
    which Netscape will be able to understand.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 14, 2005
  4. Thanks...BUT

    It seems these config fixes are for Netscape 7, Mozzie 5 etc

    but For Netscape 4.7 and 4.8 ???

    must admit the reading of the article from 4GuysFromRolla is awesome, what
    every programmer new to asp.net needs to know,
    but that highlight aside,
    I still have a problem..

    Anyway to just force or suggest a user swops browsers ?
    AND download IE6 etc? or Netscape or .. at least a compatible version
    which should now be provided for in the Web.config thanks to Rob Eberhardt.
    --
    Neal Rogers
    University of Cape Town

    =?Utf-8?B?TmVhbA==?=, Jul 15, 2005
  5. By the way,..

    The site is , if you're interested, (my first at that) at
    "http://uctweb.uct.ac.za/splusttable/"

    any comments or ideas for improvement would be welcome, anything which
    improves it, my knowledge etc.. very much wanted.

    Thanks

    --
    Neal Rogers
    University of Cape Town