ASP.NET, SQL Reporting Service, & Temp File problem

Guest

I have created an interface for a SQL Reporting Service report. SQL Reporting
Service makes a virutal directly in IIS called ReportServer.

There are various buttons on the form I created and one is View. When the
user clicks View, I fire a window.open, that has the URL string, to the
ReportServer using URL access. This works find for virtually all reports.
Unfortunately the SQL programmer has decided to use temp files for a few
reports. In order for me to keep the temp file valid I have to keep the
connection open. If the connection is closed, the temp file disppears like
magic!

For these temp file SQL reports, I follow these basic steps in the View
click event.

1. View is clicked on - http://hostname/webform1.aspx
2. open a connection
3. run stored procedure 1
4. get the temp file name
5. create the URL string
6. window.open using URL -
http://reportserver?tempfilename=whatever;otherparams=etc;
7. the new window is now trying to open the report through ReportServer via
URL access
8. close the connection

This worked fine when I tested during development. When it was tested with
multiple users they keep getting the error message, "The temp file passed is
invalid". It seems to me the temp file is closing before the browser that I
opened with window.open is done loading when multiple users are hitting it.

So now im trying to find a way to keep the connection open. Is there anyway
to keep a connection open for 10 - 20 seconds then close it? Or maybe there's
a way to check the status of the new browser I opened (using window.open) to
see if its done loading before closing the connection? Or perhaps there's a
simpler solution that I am just not seeing?

Any help (preferably before Nov 1st) would be appreciated ug.. deadlines

Scott Allen

Hi hotice3100:

The bad news anything that relies on state and tempfiles sticking
around in a web application is going to prove to be unreliable in the
long run.

I'm trying to figure out the environment you describe. Apologies for
my misunderstanding.

A sample SSRS URL access string would look like:

http://machine/reportserver?/ItemPath/Item&commands&parameters

but I don't see an item specified in your URL.

Are you saying the report item itself is temporary?
Or does a report write information to the file system?
Does the file get created when you first access the report?
Are you trying to get to the file on a subsequent request?

l --
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/