ASP.NET stops responding after executing a database query which is time consuming

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by veenakj@gmail.com, Aug 22, 2005.

    I have a asp.net webpage which has aroud 20 steps as hyperlink.

    when start button is clicked, then step1 starts which does some
    operation in db and returns some value, based on that value i post the
    same page again to execute the next step. This continues untill the
    20th step is executed. Now some steps, take lot of time to execute some
    queries(9 million row updates) in the database. So asp.net stops
    responding and do not continue to next step eventhough the db operation
    for that step is completed.

    I have tried increasing the executiontimeout property but the problem
    still exists.

    Has anyone faced this problem? What are the possible solutions?

    I use AP.NET1.1 on XP box with IIS5.0

    any help appreciated.

    Thanks
    VKJ
    , Aug 22, 2005

  2. visar Guest

    I'm not sure if you can guarantee the timeout time on the client side
    as the client may override your decisions. Why don't you try using
    something like AJAX to keep the page alive while the database is
    processing?
    visar, Aug 22, 2005

    we are going to UAT in few days and at this point of time i cannot
    recommend new stuff like AJAX (just now read abt it and sounds
    interesting). All these days when there was less amt of data it was
    working fine till 20 steps now as the data is increasing we are facing
    this problem. I was hoping if any of process model attributes or
    httpruntime attibutes would solve the problem.

    Thanks
    VKJ
    , Aug 22, 2005
  4. Stefan Guest

    Does the browser/request timeout or the asp.net workerthread?
    Stefan, Aug 22, 2005

    i'm not sure as to what is timing out.

    But here is the scenario.

    1)This application is on local m/c.

    2)The same application is on dev server.

    3) They both connect to same database.

    4) Now i run the steps from my local m/c. After the completion of each
    step i post back to the same page and update a column against that step
    in UI saying that step completed and proceeds to next step with the
    status as processing.

    5) Now at the same time i open the same page on dev server. whenever
    there is no delay there is no problem.

    6) But When a step takes long time, then i can see that by refreshing
    the page on devserver, that step is completed and it has stopped and
    did not proceed to next step.

    7) Then i check the local webpage and it is still saying processing.
    after refresh i can see that the step is completed but did not proceed
    to next step. It did not do a postback even after the step is
    completed.This happens to steps which takes longer time (upto 45 min)
    and not for steps which takes less time.

    Hope this helps in understanding the problem.

    Thanks
    VKJ
    , Aug 22, 2005

    browser/request timeout -- i checked the IIS log and i do not see a
    408 error

    so i guess it is asp.net workerprocess timing out.