ASP.net Tab Missing IIS Manager

Guest

I am running SBS 2003 R2 and have installed the dotnet framework version 2.0
and registered it with IIS. However I do not have the ASP.net tab in IIS
Manager, how can i enable this?

Thanks

Juan T. Llibre

That is a common problem when beta versions of Visual Studio
aren't fully uninstalled before the release version is installed, or when
Visual Studio's components are uninstalled in the wrong order.

See if this workaround listed in my bug report help you get it back :
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produ...edbackid=f697a7d8-52a0-4c79-bc57-767b6d7d750a

FDBK21319#2: Remove Registry Entries that cause the problem
Thanks to Chris Adams:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forums/ForumPost.asp?ID=20592&INTID=6

To fix, check the following 3 regkeys :
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7D23CCC6-A390-406E-AB67-2F8B7558F6F6}\InprocServer­32
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FD5CD8B1-6FE0-44F3-BBFB-65E3655B096E} \InprocServer32
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FEDB2179-2335-48F0-AA28-5CDA35A2B36D}\InprocServer­32

Under (expand) InProcServer32, look for the presence of a non-2.0.0.0 (example 2.0.36.0)
and remove it. It has a reference that causes this to break.

WARNING : don't fool with the registry if you are not proficient doing that.

You can work around the problem, if editing the registry doesn't fix it, by using
Denis Bauer's ASP.NET Version Switcher to switch ASP.NET versions.

http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx

While it doesn't edit ASP.NET configuration files, at least it allows you
to pick the version of the framework will be used for specific websites.

Here's instructions on how to manually uninstall beta versions of Visual Studio 2005
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/uninstall/default.aspx

Or, you might want to use the VS 2005 beta cleanup tool.

Guest

Thanks for the reply. I have never had the beta version of any products
install on the machine. However have checked the registry keys mention and
they all have just 2.0.0.0 present.

Anybody have any other ideas what might have caused this?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I have never had the beta version of any products install on the machine.

See:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6099857.html

Published on ZDNet July 28, 2006, 12:27 PM PT

Microsoft said on Friday that it is recalling an update to its Small Business Server
product because of a glitch found late in the manufacturing process.

The software maker said it found a problem with Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2
after the product was released to computer makers but before it was made broadly available.

"Recently, and during a regular audit as part of our software production process,
Microsoft became aware of an issue with the final...software containing nonfinal
versions of a few core components,"

Do you have the patched version, or a version ordered before July 28 ?

Can you check the .Net Framework version number by running this aspx page ?

version.aspx:
------------------

<%@ Page Language="VB" %>
<head>
</head>

<%
Response.Write("ASP.NET System Environment Version = " & System.Environment.Version.ToString())
%>

If the version reported is not 2.0.50727.42, you have the unpatched version.

Guest

Thanks for your reply, i have created the page you suggested and it says the
version is:

2.0.50727.42

I might have the version that was recalled as I got the media from MSDN. My
understanding was Microsoft released the patches on windows update for people
that had the recalled version.

Any ideas?

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi,

As Juan suggested, beta version might be one possible cause of the issue.

Besides that, there might be other possible causes.

If the server is 64 bit, it's a known issue that the ASP.NET version tab
will not work if they're running IIS under wow64. However, since you're
using SBS 2003 R2 which only has 32 bit, this should not be the case.

You may try the following steps to see if it can manually register the
extension:

1. Manually run the install for ASP.NET:

ASPNET_regiis -i

2. Register the dll for the MMC:

regsvr32.exe
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mmcaspext.dll"

3. "rundll32.exe"
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\webengine.dll",RegisterAspNet
MMC

4. From a command prompt run:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\regasm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\AspNetMmcExt.dll
/tlb:AspNetMMCExt.tlb

5. Change the About value in
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\{fedb2179-2335-48f1-aa28-
5cda35a2b36d}" from {7D23CCC6-A390-406F-AB67-2F8B7558F6F7} to
{7D23CCC6-A390-406F-AB67-2F8B7558F6F6}

======================================

The ASP.NET tab that displays in IIS is an MMC Extension of the IIS MMC.
If the tab is not showing, you can do the following to see if you can
manually add it:

1. Start | Run
2. Type mmc and click Open
3. From File menu, select Add/Remove Snap-in
4. Click Add
5. Select Internet Information Services (IIS) MMC and click Add
6. Click Close
7. Click the Extensions tab, you should see ASP.NET Management Extension -
ensure it is checked
8. Click OK
9. Right-click a web site and select Properties to confirm the tab displays

======================================

Additional Information about the tab:

If you right-click on the "Web Sites" folder and select Properties, the
ASP.NET tab displays a version that cannot be changed. This value comes
from:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ASP.NET]
RootVer Reg_SZ 2.0.50727.0

aspnet_regiis change this value as well.

The ASP.NET tab on each web site displays a dropdown of the versions. The
keys under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ASP.NET\ are used to populate the
versions displayed.

Let me know if above suggestion works.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

bciaverelli

Walters steps did not work for my instance of Windows Server 2003 R2.
Step 4 I received a permissions error even while logged in as local
administrator. I have yet to find a valid fix to this issue. The
work-around is simply unacceptable. Anyone else have any ideas?