Asp.net textbox/ access 2002 textbox incompatibility

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by ald, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. ald

    ald Guest

    Hi out there,

    I am working with Asp.Net, Access 2002 and Sql Server
    2000. Both the Access application and the Asp.Net app.
    update the same tables and fields in the database. The
    problem I am having is that when data is inserted from a
    multiline textbox in Asp.Net it is not formatted the same
    in the Access app. Specifically, there are boxes where
    there should be new lines created. The text looks the
    same when viewed in the Sql table but different in the
    Access text box. Any help or ideas would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Also the Asp.Net page does not update the db directly. It
    passes the info to a webservice which performs all query
    execution. Should not matter but I mention it for
    completeness sake.

    Thanks

    ps. I also posted this to the dotnet.framework.aspnet
    group before I found this group. I apologize if that is
    poor etiquette.

    ..

    ald, Dec 4, 2003

  2. ald

    Axel Dahmen Guest

    Could you please get more into detail? Where are the differences in the
    saved data? How did you define word wrapping in the TextBox control? What is
    the TextBox content when you examine it in VS.NET?

    Best regards,
    Axel Dahmen

    ---------------------

    Axel Dahmen, Dec 6, 2003

  3. ald

    ald Guest

    Perhaps it would be clearer if I give an example

    This is how the text looks in the asp.net textbox webcontrol
    'Mary had a little lamb. It's fleece as white as snow. Everywhere that Mary wen
    her lamb was sure to go
    Even to the potty. And Mary called
    the lamb stinky.

    This is how it looks in Access 2002 textbox control
    'Mary had a little lamb. It's fleece as white as snow. Everywhere that Mary wen
    her lamb was sure to go. Even to the potty. And Mary called the lamb stinky.

    In Access 97 there are little 'box' graphics at the end of each line where there was a carriage return. I do not have Access 97 on this computer so I cannot provide an example right now. The encoding for the crlf is still there (when i pasted from Access to this post the text was correctly formatted) it is just that the Access textbox does not understand it

    I have tried with the asp.net textbox wrap property set to 'true' and 'false'
    I hope this helps someone help me

    ald

    ald, Dec 7, 2003
  4. ald

    Axel Dahmen Guest

    Well, it's just a guess, but I believe, Access misinterprets the carriage
    return and requires a lf-cr sequence to actually show the line feed.

    "ald" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Perhaps it would be clearer if I give an example.
    >
    > This is how the text looks in the asp.net textbox webcontrol:
    > 'Mary had a little lamb. It's fleece as white as snow. Everywhere that

    Mary went

    Axel Dahmen, Dec 21, 2003