asp.net to sql server 2000 access problems

Andrew

Hell-hohoho to all...
Just begun working with asp.net linking to sqlServer 2000, had some
problems with the (null) user, but previous posts have got me past
that by storing an identity in the web.config file. However, I want
to dyamically set the login info, from a prompted box. I'm aware of
the security issues here, but I'll ignore that for now. The kb
article I saw set the following info in the connection string of the
sql connection:

data source=[SERVER MACHINE];initial catalog=[DB NAME];user id=
[DOMAIN\USER];password=[PASSWORD]

While the same user info worked when hard-coded into the config file,
here it sqys that

Login failed for user 'pcc.login\fraya'

at the point of connection.open().

Am I missing something from the connection string? That's exactly
what the knowledgebase article said.

Any help? Cheers, and holiday greetings.
Andrew Fray

Mary Chipman

It may not necessarily be in the connection string. Did you grant a
login and permissions for the fraya account? Also, I don't think
pcc.login\fraya is valid syntax what with the dot between pcc and
login.

-- Mary
MCW Technologies
http://www.mcwtech.com

Andrew

Like I say, I had it working with identitiy impersonation, so I needed
the identity set up on the sql server. And pcc.login is valid,
honest!
cheers,
Andrew Fray

Mary Chipman said:
[...]

Can you log in using that connection info from the same machine using
another tool, like Query Analyzer?

-- Mary
MCW Technologies
http://www.mcwtech.com

Mary Chipman said:
[...]

Absolutley, Enterprise Manager logs in, and I have full access.
I'm really stumped when it comes to this.
Cheers,
Andrew Fray

Mary Chipman

The reason I suggest starting a new thread is that often other people
don't jump in or even read a long existing thread since they figure
your question has been answered adequately, which in this case it has
not.

-- Mary
MCW Technologies
http://www.mcwtech.com