ASP.net trace debug output and write to text file

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Grant Schenck, Mar 29, 2007.

  1. I have an ASP application which uses a COM object I developed. That object
    uses OutputDebugString as well as writing to a text file to trace internal
    activity.

    If I test my ASP page from Visual Studio, the trace file is written to and
    trace output appears in the debugger.

    HOWEVER, if I run my ASP file directly after installing it to my IIS, while
    everything works, I don't get any text file written. I played around with
    the calls from the global.asa and from my .asp pages and if I call invalid
    methods, etc. then I get nice errors in my browser.

    So, is there some feature of ASP that prevents, in a production environment,
    a COM object from writing to a file? What is odd is that the COM object
    doesn't appear to get any error or throw any exception when it is presumably
    trying to write to my log file...

    Also, even if I add System.Diagnostics.Trace.WriteLine() calls to my
    global.asa and run an external debug capture utility, the output doesn't
    show up. I tried enabling the debug flag in my web.config but that didn't
    change either issue.

    Thanks!

    Grant Schenck
    Grant Schenck, Mar 29, 2007