ASP.net trace debug output and write to text file

Grant Schenck

I have an ASP application which uses a COM object I developed. That object
uses OutputDebugString as well as writing to a text file to trace internal
activity.

If I test my ASP page from Visual Studio, the trace file is written to and
trace output appears in the debugger.

HOWEVER, if I run my ASP file directly after installing it to my IIS, while
everything works, I don't get any text file written. I played around with
the calls from the global.asa and from my .asp pages and if I call invalid
methods, etc. then I get nice errors in my browser.

So, is there some feature of ASP that prevents, in a production environment,
a COM object from writing to a file? What is odd is that the COM object
doesn't appear to get any error or throw any exception when it is presumably
trying to write to my log file...

Also, even if I add System.Diagnostics.Trace.WriteLine() calls to my
global.asa and run an external debug capture utility, the output doesn't
show up. I tried enabling the debug flag in my web.config but that didn't
change either issue.

Thanks!

Grant Schenck