ASP.NET Tracing, performance tweeking

Ryan Ternier

I'm trying to improve the performance on an ASP.NET site we have created.

On my test server running in debug mode, it will take me 5 seconds to load
the page.
On my Test server, in release mode, it takes 1.6 seconds to load the page.
These two tests are done by machines in the development room.

On the live server, in release mode, it takes 5 seconds (we have over 180
websites running from this server) for me to access a page, and clients can
take up to 12 seconds.

This is unacceptable.

I put tracing into my page to see if it was a code issue. Through my traces,
it takes .283 seconds to process the code, but when it hits the part:
from first from last
aspx.page Begin Render 0.314920 0.000059
aspx.page End Render 5.313110 4.998191

It takes 5 seconds to do this page render. What is happening during this
process? There's not a whole lot to display on the page, and no reason it
should take 5 seconds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan Ternier
Code Monkey

Karl Seguin

You'll need to profile your code. Ants Profiler (red-get.com) has a free 14
day trial which works very well and should help you identify the problem.

Karl

Ryan Ternier

You mean red-gate ;)
Karl Seguin said:
You'll need to profile your code. Ants Profiler (red-get.com) has a free 14
day trial which works very well and should help you identify the problem.

Karl

Karl Seguin

Yup...I heard they are coming out with a big new version of ants profiler
too...yay!

Karl