asp.net uploads - confused

Simon Devlin

Hi (and seasons greetings)

After browsing through the google results on the subject, I'm still none the
wiser.

Here is the scenario.

I have 2 files (though I'm happy for them to be combinined into a .zip and
decompressed on receipt). One is a very simple (and so, small) xml file
containing a description that relates to the larger of the two files. The
larger, is a delimited text file which is to be subsequently parsed and fed
into a MS SQL DB.

The large files are likely to be in the region of 10-50MB. Concurrent file
uploads are not likely to be a significant issue.

Do people have a feel for the reliabilty of uploading such large files
(perhaps they're not that large?) through pure asp.net, or will it be
necessary to move to one of the more feature-rich wrappers. Or, is it a
better approach to code as a webservice. I'm don't wanna go down the
webservice route just 'cos it's sexy - the programming is a side part to
what I do so CV points aren't really a concern here. I'm just looking for
the simplest way to get a file from a unix box to a windows box. This is a
results file from an in house developed enterprise wide security scanner, so
plaintext file transfer methods are out of the question, and SSH based
protocols are an additional pain given the .net server - hence the HTTP post
/ webservice question. The idea is to initiate a transfer automatically
after the scan process completes - as such a http put seems ideal.

All comments appreciated