asp.net url rewriting

thoeone

Hi,
Anyone have any experience with url rewriting on asp.net and performance issues. I want to know how much of a lost in performace(percentage wise) if i use Context.RewritePath() function to make a friendly url. Any experience or links to benchmarks is appreciated.

#source: http://www.codeverge.net

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The overhead should be in milli- or micro-seconds for an HTTP Handler to
take "friendly URLs" and turn them into a non-friendly path. I have only
played with this and not hammered at scale (and am no longer working on the
project), so I cannot give you figures, but the Handlers occur as part of
the ASP.NET process, and incur almost no overhead. I am sure you could write
an inefficient method that makes this statement incorrect. :)

Patrice

This is a server side only thing that does something that is quite
straighforward. The only thing I could think of would be depending on your
own code (for example if you perform additional queries to the DB to
translate a friendly part into a product primary key or something similar).

bruce barker

depends. for standard aspx pages, almost none, you probably could not detect.
but if you need to remap static content (images,etc) then using asp.net to do
the url rewrite will cause an order of magnitude difference in performance
over using an isapi filter (unless you are using iis 7).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)