ASP.net using old version of DLLs

Guest

Hello all.

We have a web app that includes a number of dlls. These cover all sorts of
things such as email handling, error handling, data access etc. The email
handler dll has been modified a number of times but it seems that the old
versions are still being referenced somewhere. So when we modify a method,
then re-copy the dll up to the web server, the code in the old method is
still running, not the new stuff.

How would this be so?

Is a machine reboot the same as am IIS reset and should I do this?

Under the Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\applicationName
folder, there are a couple of folders with assemblies, but all the assemblies
are from way back, not this week when we put a new build up. Is that an error?

Thanks all any pointers would be great.

Jon

Rob MacFadyen

Jon,

A machine reboot is not the same as an IIS Reset. If your components are
strange "out of process" components then a reboot may be required (this
would be very unusual... but possible). A reboot would at least eliminate
possibilities.

Are the old DLL's COM objects? Any chance the modification would have
disturbed the COM class/interface information.... i.e. do you need to
rebuild the interop layer as well?

Did you have any problems replacing the actual files? Usually if a DLL is
loaded the file remains open... which makes replacing the file "tricky".

Regards,

Rob

Guest

Hi Rob,

No they're standard .net dlls. Typically when we upgrade, we stop IIS,
delete the old dll and copy in the new one.

If you look under the v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files folder, all the
assemblies have a date from the 30th May, but we did the upgrade on Tuesday,
plus the app hasn't taken on any of the new functionality.

Thanks,

Jon