ASP.NET Virtual Earth server control: Can't get a nice angled view from altitude

Ken Fine

Hi, hoping someone can help out with what's a simple question.

I am using the ASP.NET VE map control here on a site, which I am still
developing. I'm putting picture icons on a map:

http://kenfine.posterous.com/uw-map-overhead

I am using the ASP.NET VE server control in 3d mode, as you see. I can
specify an overhead view that is accurate using the following declaration.

Map2.SetMapView(new MapViewSpecification(new LatLong(47.6565, -122.3055),
1203, -90, 0));

I don't want to specify an overhead view as a default. I want to specify an
angled view as a default with my elements placed on it, something like this:

http://kenfine.posterous.com/uw-map-oblique

However, when I specify an angled view using the same latLong, I no longer
appear to be in the same location. The control either drives me "into" the
earth or into some location well south or west of the view I want to have.
The behavior is inconsistent and almost seems like a bug.

I have experimented with LatLongWithAltitude and am having no luck getting
the map to go where I want it to go for its default, 3d angled/oblique view.

Can someone suggest how I can get this to work?

Thanks!
-KF

Steven Cheng

Hi KF,

Since the question is quite specific to the virtual earth functionality, I
would recommend you try posting in the Virtual Earth:Map control
development forum:

#Virtual Earth: Map Control Development
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=537&SiteID=1

there, you'll probably get more help on this.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).