ASP.NET vs. Java Technology

Rohit

I am an ASP.NET newbie. I have previous good experience in VB.NET/C#.
I want to know whether I should also learn Java. Please let me know if
learning Java will add any added
advantage or I should concentrate on .NET itself. Are there any good
reasons to know Java as well. Recently few trainers suggested me to
learn Java since it is platform independent and more powerful for
Enterprise web-applications, whereas, ASP.NET is platform dependent
and in future has limited scope.

John Timney \(MVP\)

If you know C# then switching to Java is an easy enough move but a
comprehensive understanding of asp.net and c# will be enough for most
companies and most jobs. Language is less important than a good knowledge
of the .net framework/j2ee framework - design, good code structure, testing
etc.

The demand for asp.net developers, and specifically C# developers is huge -
it sounds to me that the trainers you spoke to have their own interests at
heart rather than yours in trying to get you to sign up for Java training.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

George Ter-Saakov

If you want to work on Unix/Sun/.... you need to learn Java.
If you want to work on Windows platform then learn C#, ASP.NET

I would not say ASP.NET has limited scope. Microsoft has more money than
Sun, Oracle, ..... together.

I would say chose one platform and stick with it. At least till you can say
you know it :)

George.

darrel

advantage or I should concentrate on .NET itself. Are there any good
reasons to know Java as well. Recently few trainers suggested me to
learn Java since it is platform independent and more powerful for
Enterprise web-applications, whereas, ASP.NET is platform dependent
and in future has limited scope.

Definitely learn Java if you want a job at Sun.

Otherwise...I dunno.

-Darrel

Samuel R. Neff

Perhaps the trainers suggested learning Java so they can sell you some
more java training. They certainly sound biased (as I'm sure the
answers you get here will be).

It's always good to learn new things and have a good basis for
comparison and be able to apply things learned from one technology to
another. But I wouldn't suggest learning Java just because some
trainers suggested it or someone gave you the very wrong impression
that ASP.NET has a limited scope or is not Enterprise ready (that's
total bull).

HTH,

Sam