ASP.NET, VS.NET, shared controls, and ORM classes: how can I organize my mess into neat projects?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Feb 21, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm come from a self-taught ASP/Dreamweaver background and over the last
    year have used VS.NET/ASP.NET/C# more and more to the point that it is my
    primary development environment now. VS.NET is an amazing tool but I think
    that my use of it is suboptimum.

    I work on one "main" website but there are many logical divisons within that
    website: one app does one thing, one thing does another. In VS.NET, Right
    now I have everything lumped together in one huge project with
    subdirectories as my only mechanism for dividing stuff up. Builds are very
    slow, and I am less productive than I think I should be.

    I was looking through Wrox's recent "MVP Hacks" book and it seemed to point
    me in the way of a much smarter way to work: dividing my solution into
    projects.

    I want to understand whether this would work for me, what's involved in
    making it happen, and whether this would speed up my builds.

    Some chief concerns include:
    1) I use the EntitySpaces ORM framework and a collection of classes it built
    for me. I want all of my projects to use that same code.
    2) I am developing a common collection of user controls and I want to be
    able to use them across projects.
    3) I have a bunch of nifty controls as binaries in my bin folder and I want
    those shared as well.

    If items 1, 2, and 3 can be managed, I am wondering how I should go about
    chopping up my existing mess into something less messy. If I understand the
    project metaphor correctly, it needn't move files outside of where I have
    them now -- the projects just group things sensible and "point" to the
    constituent files.

    Thanks for any practical experience and advice you can offer. I feel like I
    should really know this myself, but not having come originally from a
    developer background, not everything here is intuitive. I don't want to
    trash my slow-but-functional setup in the process of learning how all of
    this works.

    -KF

    Guest, Feb 21, 2007