ASP.Net vs other technologies

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Sam Carleton, Nov 28, 2006.

  1. Sam Carleton

    Sam Carleton Guest

    By day I am a Microsoft Windows Application Developer currently using
    ..Net 2.0. Mind you, I did say Window Application vs Web Applications.
    I run Solaris and OpenBSD at home and know Linux. I have dabbled in
    web programming for personal use over the years. I have used things
    like ASP.Net, PHP, CGI, etc, along with the classics HTML, JS.

    By night I am an photographer. I would like to develop a web site to
    sell event photos online. There are three requirements:

    1: As secure at possible, I want to make it as hard as possible for
    folks to steal the images
    2: Cross platform, it must be equally secure on both Windows and Mac!
    3: Easy to add images, fore events will be added daily

    I don't think the third one is any big deal, simply a matter of a good
    implementation. I am concerned about the first two. I am fully aware
    that if the image is on the Internet, it CAN be stolen. I am also
    aware of the fact that it is possible to make is a LOT harder for folks
    to steal. On the scale of 1 to 10 (1 being easy and 10 be impossible
    to steal) I am looking for around a 6 to 8, maybe even 5. Currently I
    host some of my images at this site: http://photos.miltonstreet.com I
    *THINK* they are using ColdFusion, not sure. They have the type of
    security I am looking for, though.

    Being a Windows Application Developer that already knows C#.Net, the
    idea of using ASP.Net is very appealing, but... I am concerned about
    the whole cross platform/security issue. I am thinking that using
    ASP.Net's Web.Forms will allow me to develop a pretty secure site on
    IE, but what about the cross platform issues? How hard will it be to
    secure it for Firefox and for the Mac?

    Considering the scope of this project, sell images online, would I
    simply be better off looking at another technology like ColdFusion or
    one of the other solutions out there?

    Sam
     
    Sam Carleton, Nov 28, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ASP.NET has no inherent cross platform issues as it is browser based. Some of
    the controls output not so pretty or compliant markup but its no worse (in
    fact possibly better) then the rest of the web.
    The site you mention has no real security for your images, they are just
    embeded in flash animations so you cant just right click and save them to you
    hard drive. You can still screen dump the browser and save the image that
    way. There is no way to stop people taking image data you give them. You have
    to not give it, like write SAMPLE across it in big red letters. It will give
    people an idea of the shot but they cant use it.
    If you do like the flash route than that is flash, so you can use that in
    ..NET. but I dont know what kind of api it has to make movies including images
    via code.

    I would go with ASP.NET

    --

    Ciaran O''Donnell
    http://wannabedeveloper.space.live.com


    "Sam Carleton" wrote:

    > By day I am a Microsoft Windows Application Developer currently using
    > ..Net 2.0. Mind you, I did say Window Application vs Web Applications.
    > I run Solaris and OpenBSD at home and know Linux. I have dabbled in
    > web programming for personal use over the years. I have used things
    > like ASP.Net, PHP, CGI, etc, along with the classics HTML, JS.
    >
    > By night I am an photographer. I would like to develop a web site to
    > sell event photos online. There are three requirements:
    >
    > 1: As secure at possible, I want to make it as hard as possible for
    > folks to steal the images
    > 2: Cross platform, it must be equally secure on both Windows and Mac!
    > 3: Easy to add images, fore events will be added daily
    >
    > I don't think the third one is any big deal, simply a matter of a good
    > implementation. I am concerned about the first two. I am fully aware
    > that if the image is on the Internet, it CAN be stolen. I am also
    > aware of the fact that it is possible to make is a LOT harder for folks
    > to steal. On the scale of 1 to 10 (1 being easy and 10 be impossible
    > to steal) I am looking for around a 6 to 8, maybe even 5. Currently I
    > host some of my images at this site: http://photos.miltonstreet.com I
    > *THINK* they are using ColdFusion, not sure. They have the type of
    > security I am looking for, though.
    >
    > Being a Windows Application Developer that already knows C#.Net, the
    > idea of using ASP.Net is very appealing, but... I am concerned about
    > the whole cross platform/security issue. I am thinking that using
    > ASP.Net's Web.Forms will allow me to develop a pretty secure site on
    > IE, but what about the cross platform issues? How hard will it be to
    > secure it for Firefox and for the Mac?
    >
    > Considering the scope of this project, sell images online, would I
    > simply be better off looking at another technology like ColdFusion or
    > one of the other solutions out there?
    >
    > Sam
    >
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2lhcmFuIE8nJ0Rvbm5lbGw=?=, Nov 28, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Sam Carleton

    Mark Rae Guest

    <cross-posting removed>

    "Sam Carleton" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > 1: As secure at possible, I want to make it as hard as possible for
    > folks to steal the images


    Totally impossible if the images are to be displayed on the client browsers.
    If it's on the browser screen, it's almost certainly also in Temporary
    Internet Files etc. You'll find loads of web pages telling you how to
    disable right-mouse clicks, how to hide View Source etc... All are rubbish,
    an can be circumvented with little effort.

    The best you can do is to create thumbnails of the images with text
    superimposed e.g. "SPECIMEN" so that even if the image is harvested, it's of
    little worth.

    > 2: Cross platform, it must be equally secure on both Windows and Mac!


    Platform and browser are irrelevant to server-side security, especially in
    this case.

    > 3: Easy to add images, fore events will be added daily
    > I don't think the third one is any big deal, simply a matter of a good
    > implementation.


    Correct, but don't be fooled into thinking that the technology you use to
    create your website will make the images any easier or harder to steal. The
    client browser hasn't the slightest interest in whether the webserver from
    which it's receiving its HTML stream is running ASP.NET or Java or
    ColdFusion or PHP or whatever...

    > *THINK* they are using ColdFusion, not sure. They have the type of
    > security I am looking for, though.


    So use that if you're happy with it.

    > Being a Windows Application Developer that already knows C#.Net, the
    > idea of using ASP.Net is very appealing, but... I am concerned about
    > the whole cross platform/security issue. I am thinking that using
    > ASP.Net's Web.Forms will allow me to develop a pretty secure site on
    > IE, but what about the cross platform issues? How hard will it be to
    > secure it for Firefox and for the Mac?


    How would the platform and/or browser make any difference...? HTML is HTML
    is HTML...

    > Considering the scope of this project, sell images online, would I
    > simply be better off looking at another technology like ColdFusion or
    > one of the other solutions out there?


    I don't think that would make the slightest difference...
     
    Mark Rae, Nov 28, 2006
    #3
  4. Sam Carleton

    Norman Yuan Guest

    Since you are talking host yor app online (the Internet), if you want to go
    with ASP.NET, it has little to do with corss platform, you can only host
    your app with IIS (unless you can find a Linux host running Mono). The
    security you are talking has very little to do with different client
    browsers, which you have no control at all with your server side web app and
    it is not cross platform issue.

    Since you want to sell your image, you must show them to potential buyers
    before they decide to buy. Once your image is shown on a browser, user can
    save it (you cannot prevent it). So, the only way to "secure" your image,
    IMO, is to only show low quality preview, or size-shrinked image. However,
    if the preview's quality is too poor, you may not get users' attention at
    all. So, it is your decision to let user preview a fairly good quarlity
    image: good enough for they to shell out money to buy it, but not good
    enough to save it without paying you.

    I'd think most current web technologies are capable of doing this, and
    ASP.NET certainly is. No matter what web app you choose, the security you
    are talking has little to do with the browsers on client side, be it IE,
    Firefox, or something else.

    "Sam Carleton" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > By day I am a Microsoft Windows Application Developer currently using
    > .Net 2.0. Mind you, I did say Window Application vs Web Applications.
    > I run Solaris and OpenBSD at home and know Linux. I have dabbled in
    > web programming for personal use over the years. I have used things
    > like ASP.Net, PHP, CGI, etc, along with the classics HTML, JS.
    >
    > By night I am an photographer. I would like to develop a web site to
    > sell event photos online. There are three requirements:
    >
    > 1: As secure at possible, I want to make it as hard as possible for
    > folks to steal the images
    > 2: Cross platform, it must be equally secure on both Windows and Mac!
    > 3: Easy to add images, fore events will be added daily
    >
    > I don't think the third one is any big deal, simply a matter of a good
    > implementation. I am concerned about the first two. I am fully aware
    > that if the image is on the Internet, it CAN be stolen. I am also
    > aware of the fact that it is possible to make is a LOT harder for folks
    > to steal. On the scale of 1 to 10 (1 being easy and 10 be impossible
    > to steal) I am looking for around a 6 to 8, maybe even 5. Currently I
    > host some of my images at this site: http://photos.miltonstreet.com I
    > *THINK* they are using ColdFusion, not sure. They have the type of
    > security I am looking for, though.
    >
    > Being a Windows Application Developer that already knows C#.Net, the
    > idea of using ASP.Net is very appealing, but... I am concerned about
    > the whole cross platform/security issue. I am thinking that using
    > ASP.Net's Web.Forms will allow me to develop a pretty secure site on
    > IE, but what about the cross platform issues? How hard will it be to
    > secure it for Firefox and for the Mac?
    >
    > Considering the scope of this project, sell images online, would I
    > simply be better off looking at another technology like ColdFusion or
    > one of the other solutions out there?
    >
    > Sam
    >
     
    Norman Yuan, Nov 28, 2006
    #4
  5. Sam Carleton

    Sam Carleton Guest

    Mark Rae wrote:

    > > Being a Windows Application Developer that already knows C#.Net, the
    > > idea of using ASP.Net is very appealing, but... I am concerned about
    > > the whole cross platform/security issue. I am thinking that using
    > > ASP.Net's Web.Forms will allow me to develop a pretty secure site on
    > > IE, but what about the cross platform issues? How hard will it be to
    > > secure it for Firefox and for the Mac?

    >
    > How would the platform and/or browser make any difference...? HTML is HTML
    > is HTML...


    I was under the impression that using ASP.Net and Web.Forms was more
    then just server side. I thought they both tied into IE7 in special
    non standard HTML ways to give a richer user interface. I assumed that
    it might be possible to obfuscate things thanks to this richer user
    interface to make is that much harder for folks to get at the images.
    >From all the replies, it sounds like I am mistaken.


    Oh, I do know there is a sure fire way to secure the images: I could
    write a custom ActiveX control to display the images which communicates
    with the server over a secure channel. It would prevent the images
    from ever existing on the HD and if I wrote the control correctly, I
    could prevent most if not all screen capture techniques. This is over
    kill, though and I don't what to return to the C++/COM world to write
    an ActiveX control and I don't want to have to pay the large sum of
    money to get it signed. If this web site is really successful and this
    becomes an issue, but it is a lot of work for what I think will be
    little return.

    Sam
     
    Sam Carleton, Nov 28, 2006
    #5
  6. Sam Carleton

    Sam Carleton Guest

    First off, please realize that I understand, if the image is on the web
    and is accessed by simple old HTTP/HTTPS, it gets saved to the hard
    drive and can be stolen. I know this, but I also know that even though
    it is on the hard drive, does not mean it is *EASY* to get to and/or
    find. For those of us in the know, yea it is not all that hard, but to
    the average person it isn't. I am targeting average people, not geeks.

    Ciaran O''Donnell wrote:

    > The site you mention has no real security for your images, they are just
    > embedded in flash animations so you cant just right click and save them to you
    > hard drive. You can still screen dump the browser and save the image that
    > way.


    Site in question: http://photos.miltonstreet.com

    Hum, how do you right click and save the image? When I tried that in
    IE and Firefox, I get their custom menu. When I turn off JavaScript, I
    don't get any images, period. How would an average or even basic
    hacker get at these images without doing a screen capture of some sort?
    I am just trying to figure out how hard is it REALLY to get at the
    images on this site.

    Sam
     
    Sam Carleton, Nov 28, 2006
    #6
  7. Sam Carleton

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Sam Carleton" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    >> How would the platform and/or browser make any difference...? HTML is
    >> HTML
    >> is HTML...

    >
    > I was under the impression that using ASP.Net and Web.Forms was more
    > then just server side. I thought they both tied into IE7 in special
    > non standard HTML ways to give a richer user interface. I assumed that
    > it might be possible to obfuscate things thanks to this richer user
    > interface to make is that much harder for folks to get at the images.
    >From all the replies, it sounds like I am mistaken.


    You absolutely are.

    > I could write a custom ActiveX control


    Which would completely invalidate one of your three top-level requirements,
    namely that your site should be cross-browser compatible!
     
    Mark Rae, Nov 28, 2006
    #7
  8. Sam Carleton

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Sam Carleton" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Hum, how do you right click and save the image?


    Er, you're joking, right...?

    > I am just trying to figure out how hard is it REALLY to get at the
    > images on this site.


    Oh come on!

    http://photos.miltonstreet.com/img/p505102018-4.jpg?ts=0

    Right-click, Save Picture As...

    Cute, though... :)
     
    Mark Rae, Nov 28, 2006
    #8
  9. Sam Carleton

    Sam Carleton Guest

    Mark Rae wrote:
    > "Sam Carleton" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    > > Hum, how do you right click and save the image?

    >
    > Er, you're joking, right...?


    Ah, no, not joking...

    > > I am just trying to figure out how hard is it REALLY to get at the
    > > images on this site.

    >
    > Oh come on!
    >
    > http://photos.miltonstreet.com/img/p505102018-4.jpg?ts=0


    >From the link YOU provided, yea, brain dead simple to save the image.

    But HOW did you get the link? I searched this
    <http://photos.miltonstreet.com/p98234131/?photo=505102018> link's
    source for p505102018 and could not find any reference to that link.
    Again, my objective is to prevent the average person from stealing the
    images. Please do enlighten me.

    > Cute, though... :)


    Thanks, senior portraits are a lot of fun to do!
     
    Sam Carleton, Nov 28, 2006
    #9
  10. Sam Carleton

    Sam Carleton Guest

    Mark Rae wrote:
    > "Sam Carleton" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    > >> How would the platform and/or browser make any difference...? HTML is
    > >> HTML
    > >> is HTML...

    > >
    > > I was under the impression that using ASP.Net and Web.Forms was more
    > > then just server side. I thought they both tied into IE7 in special
    > > non standard HTML ways to give a richer user interface. I assumed that
    > > it might be possible to obfuscate things thanks to this richer user
    > > interface to make is that much harder for folks to get at the images.
    > >From all the replies, it sounds like I am mistaken.

    >
    > You absolutely are.


    Live and learn;)

    > > I could write a custom ActiveX control

    >
    > Which would completely invalidate one of your three top-level requirements,
    > namely that your site should be cross-browser compatible!


    Too true, too true. I could always punt and write a java thingy-ma-bob
    that is along the lines of ActiveX. But point well taken.
     
    Sam Carleton, Nov 28, 2006
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. TobleRone
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    348
    TobleRone
    Dec 1, 2003
  2. Mark Goldin

    ASP.NET with conventional technologies

    Mark Goldin, Jan 17, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    393
    Hermit Dave
    Jan 17, 2004
  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2xlYWtv?=

    Comparison of web technologies - MGI vs ASP.NET

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2xlYWtv?=, Dec 7, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    391
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2xlYWtv?=
    Dec 7, 2005
  4. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    337
  5. NishWishs
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,531
    Alexey Smirnov
    Nov 17, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page