ASP .Net Web Application "Connection Failure"

Nate

Hello,

I have an ASP .Net Web Application running fine on 1 Web server. I
cannot seem to get a copy of it to run on a 2nd Web server. I receive
the error "Connection Failure" when I try to run the copy on the 2nd
Web server with no additional information. I can get a "hello world"
page (test.aspx) to run fine on both Web Servers.

Are there steps that I need to take beyond simply copying all of the
VS.Net2003 Project/Application files over to the 2nd Web Server
(*.aspx, *.aspx.cs, *.dll, + VS.Net2003 project files)?

My Network Configuration:

Web Server 1 (+Web Server 2 is the same)
============
-W2K ADV SVR + Latest SP
-.Net Framework 1.1 + SP1
-IIS 5.0 + Application Settings are properly configured
-SQL Server 7.0

Thanks For Any Help,

-Nate

Nate

Maybe no responses because this group is super-busy?

I have tried using the VS.net2003 menu 'Copy Project' with 'Just the
files needed to run the Web Application' to the local (development)
server, and then copy and paste these files from the local server to
the second server, but the Web Application on the second server still
gives the generic 'Connection Failure' message.

Any suggesstions?

Thanks,

Nate

Nate

O.K. I found the problem (24 hours later)! There were two things going
on here...

SOLUTION...

1) To view detailed error messages, set your error debug tag in your
Web.Config file to <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" /> (it should
default already be set to this) and run the Web Application from a
local ip adress (i.e. 192.168.1.100).

2) Create a new virtual directory in IIS 5.0 Internet Service Manager
and set the Application Settings on the Home Directory tab to enable
ASP .Net Web Applications (click Create and make sure the file
extensions are listed). Copy your ASP .NET Web Application files into
this directory. NOTE - Copying the Web Application files over to the
Web Server is NOT enough to allow execution of an ASP .NET Application.
ALSO - you will NOT be able to get your ASP .Net Web Application to run
by right-clicking the copied folder in the IIS Internet Services
Manager to create new Application Settings. The only way it will work
is by creating a new virtual directory!

P.S. The detailed error message that I received after performing step
#1 above was 'It is an error to use a section registered as
allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level'.

-Nate

Nate

Another solution to the above problem (or put another way...another
quirk about Microsoft...ASP.NET) is that you can not save old copies of
*.dll files in your bin directory because the ASP.NET compiler will
error out (it tries to compile everything in \bin).

-N