ASP.Net web application, cross browser support?

Rob Meade

Hi all,

Something we'd not encountered happened at work yesterday, most of our
applications are normally for our Intranet/Extranet, we are currently
working on a project for the WWW, during a bit of testing we were trying to
see the effects of a download script in IE4, alas we seemed unable to
install IE4 on any of our machines so we took a quick look at Firefox. To
our horror the required field validators did not work, on some pages they
didn't do anything at all, on other pages we had .net errors...

I was quite surprised by this, now we have only tried this on Firefox so
far, but is this a known issue, is there something that needs to be
installed for other users who use other browsers that IE?

Any info would be appreciated, as I said, its something we'd not experienced
before and really hadn't even thought of.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Alvin Bruney [Microsoft MVP]

validation controls only work with Internet explorer. For cross browser
support you will have to use a third party validation mechanism. There are a
bunch out there. I use one from an MVP (don't recall his name at the moment)
but it is industry strength and free and he supports it. can't beat that.

--
Regards
Alvin Bruney

Juan T. Llibre

You will need to update your configuration file(s),
so that detection for Firefox and other browsers
can be performed, so that html they can handle can
be sent to the newer browsers.

You can add the new elements to web.config,
or to machine.config, as you see fit.

See :
http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps/

Added configuration elements (with spaces ) :
http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps/browserCaps_spaces.txt

Adding those elements will allow you to reliably detect Netscape 6 & 7,
Mozilla Firebird/Firefox 0.7-1.0, Konqueror, Safari, and Opera 6-8.

billmiami2

For cross browser support you will have to use a third party
validation mechanism.<<

Are you saying there's no way to do this without 3rd party controls?
Why can't he write his own javascript validation code for the client
side and use the validation controls for server side validation or even
write his own server side validation code?

Bill E.

Paul Glavich [MVP ASP.NET]

I have written some validation controls called the DOMValidators which do as
you require. The .Net supplied ones as you already know only work with IE.
The javascript it uses is very MS DOM specifric. The DOMValidators have
re-written most of the javascript (where most of th magic happens) but have
also a new set of server side classes to support them. They are free and
come with full source code.

You can get them here
http://www.theglavs.com/GlavTech/Downloads/DomValidators.zip

I haven't updated them in a while and am kind of waiting to seehow the
client side support in ASP.NEt 2.0 is before spending too much more time on
them.