ASP.NET web application, IIS and AppDomain (manual restart)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jack Wright, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. Jack Wright

    Jack Wright Guest

    Dear All,
    I read the following post in this newsgroup...dated 2003-02-24
    19:13:03

    I'm trying to kill an ASP.NET web application by using
    the following code. When KillAppDomain webmethod is
    called it will kill the AppDomain specified. The problem
    is once I kill an application, I couldn't start that
    application again. Any help on how to safely kill an web
    application without affecting others is much appreciated.

    reply:
    The ASP.NET web application's information is not only in its own
    appdomain.
    Some additional data which are used to maintain the application are in
    the
    ASP.NET default appdomain. If you just unload the appdomain for a web
    application, some internal data doesn't clean up. This may prevent the
    application restart.

    There is no public class or method to let us unload a appdomain
    manually. I
    think you can just put a file into the /bin folder of the web
    application
    to make the ASP.NET unload the application.

    I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please reply to this
    post.

    Best Regards,

    Jun Su
    Microsoft Support

    End

    I would if MS is thinking about exposing or allowing manual start and
    unload of AppDomain...this would really help in solving many
    deployment and speed issues..

    TALIA
    Many regards,
    Jack