Asp.net web server

Fred

how many concurrent users / hits per day can a typical asp.net web server
support?
the server will serve content similar to that of cnn.com / text and images
without video streaming
it will be running on windows server 2003 and sql server 2005

is there anything that i should be aware of when purchasing the server? im
new to asp.net but not web servers

Fred

Guest

Fred said:
how many concurrent users / hits per day can a typical asp.net web server
support?
the server will serve content similar to that of cnn.com / text and images
without video streaming
it will be running on windows server 2003 and sql server 2005

is there anything that i should be aware of when purchasing the server? im
new to asp.net but not web servers

It could support several thousands of concurrent users and as always, of
course, it depends.

There are sites like Plentyoffish and MySpace which serve many users (on
many servers) using IIS6 and ASP.NET
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...ion-Page-Views-Per-Day-Using-ASP.NET-2.0.aspx
http://plentyoffish.wordpress.com/2007/02/09/aspnet-and-iis-2-million-pageviews-per-hour/

Fred

Yes, i saw those too, but i am really interested to see how much traffic one
server can handle. can't seem to find any info on that.

George Ter-Saakov

You question is rather strange.
Write "Hello World" application and it will easily handle thousand clicks a
second.
Write "My most complex application ever with 100 database requests per page"
and it will barely handle load of 100 people.

Here are facts.

1. .NET is the best/fastest tool available for web applications.
2. .NET allows easily scale your applications if you need too.

I have a pretty used app out there (on internet) about 3000 visitors a day.
And my server P4 3 Ghz with 1Gb ram is underused.

George.