    is there anything that i should be aware of when purchasing the server? im
    new to asp.net but not web servers

    Fred

    Fred, Jul 19, 2007

  2. "Fred" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > how many concurrent users / hits per day can a typical asp.net web server
    > support?
    > the server will serve content similar to that of cnn.com / text and images
    > without video streaming
    > it will be running on windows server 2003 and sql server 2005
    >
    > is there anything that i should be aware of when purchasing the server? im
    > new to asp.net but not web servers

    It could support several thousands of concurrent users and as always, of
    course, it depends.

    There are sites like Plentyoffish and MySpace which serve many users (on
    many servers) using IIS6 and ASP.NET
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...ion-Page-Views-Per-Day-Using-ASP.NET-2.0.aspx
    http://plentyoffish.wordpress.com/2007/02/09/aspnet-and-iis-2-million-pageviews-per-hour/

    Alexey Smirnov, Jul 19, 2007

  3. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Yes, i saw those too, but i am really interested to see how much traffic one
    server can handle. can't seem to find any info on that.

    Fred, Jul 19, 2007
  4. You question is rather strange.
    Write "Hello World" application and it will easily handle thousand clicks a
    second.
    Write "My most complex application ever with 100 database requests per page"
    and it will barely handle load of 100 people.

    Here are facts.

    1. .NET is the best/fastest tool available for web applications.
    2. .NET allows easily scale your applications if you need too.

    I have a pretty used app out there (on internet) about 3000 visitors a day.
    And my server P4 3 Ghz with 1Gb ram is underused.

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Jul 19, 2007