ASP.NET Web Service?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Mr. Arnold, Dec 19, 2007.

  1. Mr. Arnold

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Hello,

    I have this project where I am creating a ASP.NET Web service that's going
    to be consumed by an application on the Intranet. This Web service will
    access a SQL Server database, extract data from tables, create XML DOM
    that's going to be posted to 3rd party Internet Web service.

    I have a couple of questions.

    1) If I have the user ID and PSW blah, blah for this site and the URL, how
    do I present credentials to the 3rd party Web Service from my Web service? I
    do have (URL?) WSDL that I generated so that I can from a test URL

    2) If I can login to the 3rd party Web service how do I post the XML to the
    3rd party Web service?

    I have the XSD(s) for the 3 types of XML(s) that I am suppose populate and
    transmit to the 3rd party Web service.

    I found this link that's talking about the tool to take a XSD and generate
    the classes from them so you can come out with a serialized XML to be
    transmitted once populated.

    Is this a good approach to take?

    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=89e6b1e5-f66c-4a4d-933b-46222bb01eb0&displaylang=en>

    What I need is some good links with examples on how to do this on how to
    make the contact with the Web service and post XML to a Web Service.

    If you can provide some examples, it would be much appreciated.

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 19, 2007

  2. Mr. Arnold wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have this project where I am creating a ASP.NET Web service that's

    I'm not clear why you are posting this to a classic ASP group
    (.asp.general). Are you asking how to consume this web service from a
    classic ASP application?

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Dec 19, 2007

  3. Mr. Arnold

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > Mr. Arnold wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have this project where I am creating a ASP.NET Web service that's

    > I'm not clear why you are posting this to a classic ASP group
    > (.asp.general). Are you asking how to consume this web service from a
    > classic ASP application?

    I didn't know that this was an ASP classic NG. No, I am not asking about ASP
    classic, but rather it's ASP.Net. If this is not the correct NG, then I'll
    find the correct one to post my questions. I know how to consume the one I
    am creating for the Intranet. It's the Web service at the 3rd party site I
    am concerned with consuming from my Web service.

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 19, 2007
  4. Mr. Arnold wrote:
    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> Mr. Arnold wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I have this project where I am creating a ASP.NET Web service that's

    >> I'm not clear why you are posting this to a classic ASP group
    >> (.asp.general). Are you asking how to consume this web service from a
    >> classic ASP application?

    > I didn't know that this was an ASP classic NG. No, I am not asking
    > about ASP classic, but rather it's ASP.Net. If this is not the
    > correct NG, then I'll find the correct one to post my questions.

    That would be microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.
    to help you.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Dec 19, 2007
  5. Mr. Arnold

    Spam Catcher Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in

    > 1) If I have the user ID and PSW blah, blah for this site and the
    > URL, how do I present credentials to the 3rd party Web Service from my
    > Web service? I do have (URL?) WSDL that I generated so that I can from
    > a test URL

    Depends on how the web service is built, you can use built in Windows
    authentication, pass the username/password a parameter, or use WSE and
    WS-Security to handle username and password tokens.

    > 2) If I can login to the 3rd party Web service how do I post the XML
    > to the 3rd party Web service?

    As a string parameter or as an xmldocument/xmlnode.

    > I have the XSD(s) for the 3 types of XML(s) that I am suppose populate
    > and transmit to the 3rd party Web service.
    >
    > I found this link that's talking about the tool to take a XSD and
    > generate the classes from them so you can come out with a serialized
    > XML to be transmitted once populated.
    >

    > Is this a good approach to take?

    XSD may or may not work - sometimes it cannot generate the class files
    from the XSD. If not, you're going to have to build the XML file from
    scratch (i.e. with your own code rather than pre-generated code).

    --
    (Do not e-mail)

    Spam Catcher, Dec 20, 2007
  6. Mr. Arnold

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Spam Catcher" <> wrote in message
    > "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in
    >
    >> 1) If I have the user ID and PSW blah, blah for this site and the
    >> URL, how do I present credentials to the 3rd party Web Service from my
    >> Web service? I do have (URL?) WSDL that I generated so that I can from
    >> a test URL

    > Depends on how the web service is built, you can use built in Windows
    > authentication, pass the username/password a parameter, or use WSE and
    > WS-Security to handle username and password tokens.
    >
    >> 2) If I can login to the 3rd party Web service how do I post the XML
    >> to the 3rd party Web service?

    > As a string parameter or as an xmldocument/xmlnode.
    >

    >> I have the XSD(s) for the 3 types of XML(s) that I am suppose populate
    >> and transmit to the 3rd party Web service.
    >>
    >> I found this link that's talking about the tool to take a XSD and
    >> generate the classes from them so you can come out with a serialized
    >> XML to be transmitted once populated.
    >>

    >> Is this a good approach to take?

    > XSD may or may not work - sometimes it cannot generate the class files
    > from the XSD. If not, you're going to have to build the XML file from
    > scratch (i.e. with your own code rather than pre-generated code).

    I know that the user-name and psw has to come in a SOAP message, so I'll
    have to figure that out. About the XML, I was looking to create a dataset
    off of the XSD, but loading it into a data.set, an error occurred stating
    that another schema is involved, an include, and it doesn't know about it,
    which is a *Types* schema. I have been in contact with the 3rd party vendor.
    The vendor is going to have to give me more information on how to consume
    their service too.

    I'll hate having to build the XML manually, and I will certainly be looking
    for better ways to do this.

    I have also found out about this .Net Framework XSD utility that will create
    a dataset from the XSD. Maybe, I get an email from the vendor with what I
    need. I didn't go to work today due to other business matters.

    It may come down to making a class and serialize it down to XML.

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 21, 2007